Dream tenants threatened by Housing Trust shared fencing issue

9:00 AM, 12th March 2019
About 2 months ago

Dream tenants threatened by Housing Trust shared fencing issue

Dream tenants threatened by Housing Trust shared fencing issue

Since my husbands recent death I am sole owner of a three bed terrace rental house in an estate in a northern town. The tenants one could only dream of having, they are excellent.

The left side fence has been falling down over a period of weeks, my tenants have made numerous calls to the housing trust which have been ignored. I believe their tenant has at last reported this problem and today the trust contacted my tenants.

1. Who say we I have to pay half of the costs.
2. The old rule of which side belonged to the property has been changed by this govt. No longer counts…..
3. We have replaced the right side of the fence at our expense. This is of no concern to the trust.
4. My tenants have a large and very unfriendly dog, the trust know this, but say if he animal bites it’s my tenants fault, but do nothing.
5. The fence in question is build on the other side of a low garden brick wall. Built by the previous property owner in this garden with the smooth side of the fence facing our side.

I hate to ask, but do need an opinion or two on this new law and where I stand.

Very many thanks.

Jo

Comments

Chris Harris

12:46 PM, 12th March 2019
About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by terry sullivan at 12/03/2019 - 11:48
Having failed to get the fence's owner to replace it ,this is the way I would go next. However, I would likely want to control the installation, and would probably ask the tenant for a contribution to the works that I organised. If that fails, then I would replace the fence and put it down to one of the many joys and injustices of being a landlord in today's world.

AlanR

19:01 PM, 12th March 2019
About 2 months ago

Your land registry docs should include a drawing showing the property boundaries marked in red. Where there is a letter 'T' mark attached to a section of the garden boundary fencing, you are responsible for the maintenance of that section. No 'T' mark and next door is responsible for that section. A 'T' mark on both sides of the same fence indicates shared responsibility.
All very well and good, but if next door doesn't want to fix their fence you haven't got much leverage to encourage them to do it - this I know as I have this problem at present. I will probably end up fixing it myself to avoid more frustration - luckily I have the tools/skills.

Have a look at this website, it may help: http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk

Rob Crawford

11:22 AM, 13th March 2019
About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by AlanR at 12/03/2019 - 19:01
...a lot of developers don't include a 'T' nowadays and in such circumstances it is considered a joint boundary. Worth checking though £3 for the deeds and you will need the map PDF as well. I have always managed to influence neighbours to fix fences that are clearly theirs. Once you have your facts, if a Housing association / trust, rather than discussing with Mr/Ms Jobs Worth, write to the CEO.

38% of landlords will consider selling up if Government scraps Section 21