Do I need an AST for a 4 month let?

Do I need an AST for a 4 month let?

16:50 PM, 5th January 2015, About 9 years ago 5

Text Size

I am a landlord with several properties. One (property 2) is fully tenanted and running fine. The other (property 1) has a tenant that causes me headaches – nuisance to neighbours, noisy parties etc. I am preparing to give her notice. Section 21.

Then I will – with his agreement move tenant from house 1 to there, leaving a four bed house empty. I have come to an agreement with my accountant hat he will take over my third property for student lets as we are a college town. So…having property 2 empty earlier than expected can I put a tenant in for 4 month period – i.e. until it is needed for student lets?

Any support greatly appreciated


Share This Article


12:52 PM, 6th January 2015, About 9 years ago

If I understand correctly, you cannot use an AST for a shorter period than 6 months, but I stand to be corrected.

Sam Addison

13:41 PM, 6th January 2015, About 9 years ago

Just a couple of things to consider :-
will tenant in house 2 move out on schedule?
Will you need time to refurbish house 2 for new tenant and then time to refurbish house 1 to suit students?
You may end up with substantially less than 4 months lettable time and you may be able to let to students a little time ahead of term start.
Good luck

Tim Hall

13:44 PM, 6th January 2015, About 9 years ago

My understanding is that you can let a property on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for less than 6 months but cannot serve section 21 notice to expire before the initial 6 months which could cause a problem if the tenants do not move at the end of the fixed term.

14:03 PM, 6th January 2015, About 9 years ago

Hopefully (!) she will move during or at least at the end of her 2 month notice. That gives me about a month to move my other tenant and get the house ready for students. House 2 is ready for new tenant, just been refitted kitchen, bath and redec. throughout. The students are - apparently - all lined up and looking to move in August.

Presumably, the consensus is I can't let for less than 6 months! Can I make an arrangement with new tenant for 4 months - guess if they decide they want to stay I am lumbered?!

Tim Hall

14:30 PM, 6th January 2015, About 9 years ago

You can draw up a fixed term contract for 4 months and, asssuming it meets the other criteria (the main ones being it's let as a hole as the tenant's main home and not above £100,000 pa rent), it will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

If they decide to stay you are lumbered, for the short term at least.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now