Do I need a separate EICR?

17:33 PM, 9th February 2021
About 2 months ago

Do I need a separate EICR?

Do I need a separate EICR?

Hi all, I had a very comprehensive Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for the work I had completed in August 2019 for me. I had 2 new fuse boards, socket switch plates changed and light fittings changed.

Does this mean that I do not require the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)?

In other words, are these the same thing, or will I need a recognised electrical inspector to return to carry out a completely separate Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)?

Your input will be most gratefully appreciated.

Propman84

Comments

Malcolm Ratcliffe

13:09 PM, 14th February 2021
About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Seething Landlord at 10/02/2021 - 10:29
In your situation where you have had 2 distribution boards replaced and all the light switches and switched sockets, then the EIC is far better than the inspection. In the inspection it’s not required to check every socket and switch, I believe the phrase used is “a representative sample”. It’s down to the discretion of the electrician. Some will be more contentious and look at every socket, they will be charging more than someone who decides to look at 10% of the switches and sockets. The electrical tests carried out on your cables will be the same as if it had been a new build.

Seething Landlord

13:39 PM, 14th February 2021
About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Malcolm Ratcliffe at 14/02/2021 - 13:09I was simply quoting from the Government Guidance for Landlords.
From the point of view of complying with the Regulations it does not really matter whether an EIC is better or worse than an EICR. What is crucial is that whatever report is obtained meets the requirements of the Regulations i.e. that it gives the result of the inspection and test of every electrical installation in the premises by a qualified person and gives the date of the next inspection and test.

Local Authority rent guarantees could unlock PRS to UC tenants