Deposit dispute – Ltd Company lodgers agreement?

Deposit dispute – Ltd Company lodgers agreement?

8:58 AM, 21st February 2020, About 4 years ago 4

Text Size

Are there any legal beagles that could help me deal with a deposit dispute? From advice I received a long time ago, I have my limited company give what I thought are lodgers agreement and therefore no need to insure the deposit. As my company is the tenant for the downstairs bar, I was advised that I can issue this type of contract.

The tenant was there for 12 months and had his deposit returned in full when he left in December. The tenant was happy not to be charged for wall damage but tried to get me to refund him for the week that he moved out earlier than the notice stated. I am a bit nervous with him so didn’t want to even talk about charging him for the damage, but said that I could give him an extra weeks rent back too!

I’ve had some issues with this tenant being threatening to me and a bit creepy personally as well as starting a fight with my bar manager one night. Not that this has anything to do with these issues but gives you an idea of the person.

Then I received a solicitors letter for 6 times the deposit (1 x 6 month and 1 x periodic tenancy) saying that lodgers contracts can’t possibly be given by a limited company.

In this case, I’m certain that I was in the wrong. I’ve been told in the letter to not contact him under any circumstances. So I’d like to know how to do damage control here and minimise any losses.

I’ll need representation to deal with these solicitors and possibly court proceedings if it comes to that.

Many thanks



Share This Article


Rob Crawford

9:25 AM, 21st February 2020, About 4 years ago

Hi Emma, do you live at the property as well?

Michael Barnes

3:56 AM, 22nd February 2020, About 4 years ago

It is true that one cannot be a lodger if the landlord is not a real person (a company is a legal person but not a real person).

6 times deposit sounds like it is more than a court would award under the circumstances, but judge may decide otherwise based on it being a company rather than an individual being penalise.


20:37 PM, 23rd February 2020, About 4 years ago

Obfuscated Data

Iain Wightwick

18:44 PM, 24th February 2020, About 4 years ago

You can ask the court to reduce the penalty, contrary to is said above. You can also counterclaim for any damage that the tenant did and try setting off the free week you gave him (if that is what you did, as it is not clear from your message). I would suggest that you go to see a competent local solicitor or barrister who says in their publicity or on their website that they are an L&T specialist. In future, while it may cost you more in the short term, you might want to get your legal advice from qualified lawyers, because whoever told you to organise your lettings as you did was ignorant of the law.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now