Changing 6month advanced rent to paying monthly?

Changing 6month advanced rent to paying monthly?

16:13 PM, 27th April 2016, About 6 years ago 8

Text Size

My tenant has been paying their rent six months in advance for the last year. They’ve now asked to pay monthly.monthly

Anything I should be aware of, do I need another credit check?

Many thanks



Stephen Smith

5:04 AM, 29th April 2016, About 6 years ago

Ask them to provide a credit report, Noddle is free.

Good idea anyway. If they cannot provide then they are hiding something.

Stops all this "living with parents" nonsense so as to avid previous LL references.


Stephen Smith

5:08 AM, 29th April 2016, About 6 years ago

Ask to provide a credit check.

Noddle is free. Stops "Living with parents" nonsense to avoid previous landlord references.

You will also see how much debt they are carrying so as to form an objective opinion.

Ask for a guarantor.


Neil Patterson View Profile

11:22 AM, 29th April 2016, About 6 years ago

Why were they paying rent upfront in the first place?

Ian Tresman

11:52 AM, 29th April 2016, About 6 years ago

They were paying 6 months upfront because they were self employed, presumably without a great credit record.

Laura Delow

12:04 PM, 1st May 2016, About 6 years ago

Personally if I couldn't get Rent Guarantee Insurance cover on a tenant, I wouldn't want them whether they pay yearly, six monthly or monthly. If it were me I would pay for a full reference check on them that's acceptable to the insurer, or use someone like Best Insurance who carry this out for a nominal fee in order to assess whether they'll then cover them for Rent Guarantee cover. If they fail, I wouldn't want them as a tenant.

Ian Tresman

15:50 PM, 1st May 2016, About 6 years ago

They've already had a credit reference for the 6 month upfront rent.

Darlington Landlord

19:24 PM, 1st May 2016, About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Ian Tresman" at "01/05/2016 - 15:50":

Questions to consider.
Why do they want to change? have they now got a better credit history or are they desperate to cut costs? Are they asking for a new tenancy agreement or happy to roll over on a monthly periodic? How many years have they been self employed? Are they great tenants you want to keep?

If they want a new 12 month tenancy paying monthly as they are self employed it would be reasonable to ask to see their accounts/books or talk to their accountant to make sure they can still afford the rent. There is a risk you could be tied in to a new tenancy whilst they have problems paying due to reduced or irregular income.

You could suggest moving to 3 or 2 months in advance as an interim step.
I believe this could be done by simply writing to vary the payment conditions without needing a new tenancy agreement, deposit protection etc. Disclaimer, I am not a legal professional and hope one of the legal experts on the forum can confirm this or let us know how it should be done.

Rob Crawford

13:31 PM, 3rd May 2016, About 6 years ago

If they are still both self employed get the credit check done as suggested but also ask for proof of income from a tax return or referenced confirmation from their accountant.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now