Cavity wall insulation nightmare?

by Readers Question

10:53 AM, 6th January 2021
About 2 weeks ago

Cavity wall insulation nightmare?

Make Text Bigger
Cavity wall insulation nightmare?

Hi, I own a ground floor flat as a leaseholder that is part of a large 2-storey block. Before I bought the property 5 years ago the management company had cavity wall insulation installed (around 10 Years ago) I now have two walls that run with condensation and has black mould growing all winter.

It seems to get worse every year. Speaking to a few people and with what I have read, they seem to think that the damp-proof may have been bridged and now the insulation must be soaking.

I contacted my management company who says it’s nothing to do with them and can’t help me as the company is no longer is trading. Surely they must be liable to have it removed as they had it fitted in the first place. I’m in the process of getting a quote to have it removed, then hope to go back to them once I know the costs involved.

Is there anything I can do to get them to either have it removed or pay for it, if I have it removed. Could I take them to the small claim court for instance?



Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Energy efficiency funding

17:13 PM, 7th January 2021
About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by TrevL at 06/01/2021 - 19:19
You can get the CWI extracted , you might also consider getting mechanical ventilation installed , the time period you are talking about it's more than likely it's fibre that's been installed in the cavity and probably not installed properly so it's likely to have sumped or it has voids, the heat escaping through the walls is drawn to the point of least resistance and ultimately creating moisture where the heat hits the cold. Extraction is probably the best option. You can see the insulation voids if you put the heating on and use a thermal imaging camera to identify the challenge. As mentioned in other comments CIGA is a good starting point, it will cost you £25 for a copy of the guarantee.

Steve Masters

17:45 PM, 7th January 2021
About 2 weeks ago

What is the situation with other flats in the block? If everyone has a new damp or mould problem then it could be the new cavity wall insulation. If not everyone has the same problem it could be a compromised damp course or a leaky gutter or pipe or overflow, or driving rain against the side walls or rain splashing up from the ground, which would all indicate building problems.

Or it might be damp from condensation which would indicate poor heating and ventilation which might be a building problem or might be a lifestyle problem.

Identify the type of damp and mould first.


21:03 PM, 7th January 2021
About 2 weeks ago

Once you know what it is and have sorted it or got it under control (there will always be one tenant who has the lifestyle that brings it back) if you haven't already done so you could put in PIV (Positive Input Ventilation). I have nver installed it but bought a bungalow with it in and learned all about it. I don't need to use it at the moment but it is all in working order if I want to commissioni t - just needs 2 new filters. I checked out how much it cost to install because I was going to put it in another property and it cost nearly £350 to buy at the time and about £150 to install. You can get it with a heater (not really, just takes the chill off) and it only cost about £12 a year to run. This is about 2 years ago I checked it out

Chris Byways

10:08 AM, 9th January 2021
About 2 weeks ago

Internal insulation of the external walls may be the best solution, at least For a quick fix. I was surprised by how effective this was on a Victorian solid wall bedroom. Even if you get the CWI fixed (big IF), it will make is much warmer.

Use a damp roof membrane thin wooden frame, and plaster board.

Adrian Atkins

15:45 PM, 9th January 2021
About 2 weeks ago

had problem with ground floor maisonette. so bad that when drilled hole to put shelf up, water came out. had all sort of ideas put to us as to problem. survey in the end found water was entering through faulty pointing, which was then dealt with. Meantime gave tenant a good dehumidifier.
Another property where tenant was not ventilating properly, we fitted positive pressure ventilation system, that was brilliant, Nuaire i think, dried out and kept dry. so professional survey essential. So good that we put it in three other properties. building insurance might pay for investigation, with advantage that they would employ a reputable surveyor they trust. a lot of false information out there.

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Mould is a landlord problem claim tenants and councils agree by issuing massive fines

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More