Can I Reverse My Decision To Allow Pets?

Can I Reverse My Decision To Allow Pets?

11:06 AM, 11th November 2014, About 9 years ago 2

Text Size

Some time ago my tenants asked if I would allow pets in the house. Can I Reverse My Decision To Allow Pets?

At the time I agreed but now I would like to advise them that pets are no longer allowed in the property.

Am I able to do this, and can I simply send them a letter stating this.



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

11:14 AM, 11th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Hi Hendry

I suspect your question will make a lot of pet owners angry, and certainly your tenant.

Many pet owners treat their pets as family. Are you a pet owner yourself? If not, are you a parent?

Can you imagine how you would feel if you were renting a property a your landlord said that one of your 'loved ones' couldn't live there any more, after having previously been granted permission? How would you react?

The answer to your question is yes you can change your mind, HOWEVER, your only way to enforce your decision would be to serve notice, and if necessary to obtain a possession order and pay for baliffs to evict.

Why do you want to reverse your decision as a matter of interest? Please note that no matter what your answer is though, it is extremely unlikely that your tenant will ever agree with your decision and you may well have a fight on your hands!

You will probably be better off not mentioning the emotive subject of pets at all and just evict on the basis that you want the property back.

15:50 PM, 11th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Assuming there isn't a really good reason (e.g.the type of pet they've acquired is totally unsuitable for the property) then I'm not convinced you can change your mind.

Presumably the tenancy agreement states that pets can only be kept with the landlord's consent. However, does the tenancy agreement add something to the effect of "consent, if given, may be withdrawn at any time"?

If it doesn't, I think that once you've consented then that's it, certainly for the duration of the current tenancy. Quite simply you've either consented or you haven't, you can't chop and change your mind.

In any case, as Mark rightly says, it's a bit academic because you can't force them to get rid of Rover or Tiddles. If they refuse to do so (which they almost certainly will) the only remedy open to you is to seek possession under Section 8. To do that you'd need to convince a judge that:

1) A breach of the agreement had occurred (this means convincing the judge that you could legally withdraw your consent). NB Even if your tenancy agreement does allow for this the judge could strike it out as an unfair clause.

2) If you did convince the judge that there'd been a breach of the agreement you'd have to convince him / her that the breach was so serious it warranted someone losing their home.

Mark's conclusion is right. These tenants come with pets attached. If you don't want that bring the tenancy to a close with a Section 21 and find new tenants.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now