Am I visiting my daughter as Mum or Landlord?

14:06 PM, 29th January 2020
About 3 weeks ago

Am I visiting my daughter as Mum or Landlord?

Am I visiting my daughter as Mum or Landlord?

My daughter and her flatmate are my tenants. Not that my daughter pays any rent lol.

The flatmate has now demanded, after living there 16 months, that I give her 24 hours notice of visiting my daughter as her mum/guest/visitor.

I agree that I have to give 24 hours notice for an inspection or non-emergency repair(s).

I let the flatmate know that I was visiting this coming Thursday evening, for supper with my daughter, yesterday 27th Jan. The flatmate has responded that I legally have to give her notice as her landlord, not just a courtesy notice.

My question is: as I am visiting my daughter as her mother and guest do I legally have to give the flatmate 24 hours notice?

Think the flatmate’s new boyfriend, who is staying over 3+ nights per week in a Non-HMO licensed property, is prompting her.

Many thanks

Judith

Comments

Judith Wordsworth

0:29 AM, 4th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Luke P at 03/02/2020 - 20:20
My daughters tenancy is 12 months from 1st November. Her flatmate's is 6 months from 1st November as she only wanted 6 monthly tenancies (from Nov 2018) as acting is precarious.

Puzzler

18:19 PM, 4th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Put the boyfriend on the tenancy and increase the rent, if he is there all the time he should be on it, I don't think you have to wait for the six months to elapse. This is a lesson in the value of a good agent. I assume you don't use one?

Puzzler

18:27 PM, 4th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Just seen your other post.

How does your daughter feel about it?

Judith Wordsworth

22:11 PM, 4th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Puzzler at 04/02/2020 - 18:19
That would make 3 occupiers and only licensed for 2 unrelated occupiers, as not an HMO. It's a selective licensing area. Also the flatmate's bedroom is not big enough statutorily for 2 people.

Jay James

17:52 PM, 5th February 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Judith Wordsworth at 04/02/2020 - 22:11
so your daughter pays no rent but has an AST with you??

Advance Payments - Kicking the can down the street