Winter of Discontent: All electric leasehold property question

Winter of Discontent: All electric leasehold property question

17:05 PM, 30th August 2022, About 2 years ago 3

Text Size

What are peoples’ thoughts re a landlord’s requirement to provide heating in an all-electric leasehold flat, please, and what can be used should there be power cuts?

There is no open fireplace.

For emergency hot drinks, cooking and hot water for washing: will a single burner camping gas canister style unit on the kitchen work surface be enough?

In the 1970’s Winter of Discontent, I remember having my own flat, my first purchase to live in, a Calor gas heater which was really useful but many block building insurance policies don’t allow these.

Thank you.


Share This Article


Nikki Palmer

10:49 AM, 31st August 2022, About 2 years ago

You don't have any obligation to provide anything in the event of a power cut.
I feel in this instance that the tenant should use some initiative and perhaps get a Deliveroo/home delivery or get up and go out to where there is power, contact their electricity provider for updates and if they are cold, put on another jumper.
A power cut is beyond your control

Silver Flier

11:46 AM, 2nd September 2022, About 2 years ago

Bear in mind that a power cut affects gas-fired central heating as well - without the electric pump and electronic controls it stops.

What will your insurer have to say if the tenant causes a fire with the gas burner you're thnking of providing?

Yes, my house had a calor gas heater 40 years ago, before I installed central heating. Now you would have to provide a CO alarm, and now we know that the fumes are toxic in other ways.

All you need to do is ensure that the tenant knows that the flat is all-electric. It could be a good selling point.


11:39 AM, 5th September 2022, About 2 years ago

From the leaseholder viewpoint (rather than landlord viewpoint) be careful about breaching the terms of the lease. Read it VERY carefully. Quite often there is a clause requiring the leaseholder NOT to bring anything explosive onto the property. Calor gas bottles, etc, would fall into that category.

I suggest you approach the freeholder/landlord and/or their managing agent for advice.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now