I want Licensing to prosecute me to prosecute themselves!

I want Licensing to prosecute me to prosecute themselves!

11:12 AM, 18th April 2018, About 6 years ago 5

Text Size

Council Flat has CATEGORY ONE HAZARD Mould & Nottingham City Council are doing nothing about it for a whole year. Yet Nottingham Selective Licensing wants us Landlords to do all our houses within 3 MONTHS!

Dear Councillors & Licensing & Nottm Council,

We have a category one hazard in a flat where I own the flat, yet you are responsible for the structure of the building. I am not allowed to touch it and you are telling me you will be NINE MONTHS!!!!

There is a girl with one year kid in this flat if that matters. Enclosed are photos of the flat which is mint show home condition apart from YOUR WALL.

6-9 months for Category one hazard. Are the Council having a laugh?

It’s an easy fix, the surveyor and I both agree on what it is; Grass & wall too high on the COUNCIL HOUSE adjoining my/your flat, needs lowering, membrane, gravel soak away, tank inside flat to be safe, Bob is your Uncle.

So Environmental Health, can you please ring me then arrange to investigate the council.

Also Licensing need us to give tenants new key locks on change of tenancies.

Well on this flat, the key fob to the secure gate entry has broken. We need one. Bulwell Riverside council office is the only place where you can get one, we are told. Their machine has been broken for MONTHS! We can’t get a key. Tenant has lost hers. How does she get in?

We want a key, I am willing to pay the Council £15 charge or whatever it is. The Council can’t provide us with a key. You couldn’t make this up could you. One rule for Landlords, one for the Council.

Email sent to you 16 Jan 2018.

Living room wall, ring council see if they can have solution for damp  coming from grass bank.

The grass bank is too high on living room side. It’s causing damp on the main structure wall, which I presume is the Council’s.

Can your ring me to arrange to meet you there to discuss solution.

Please don’t send your builders round without talking to us to see where the problem is inside the living room, so u can see the location of the grass bank etc.

When is it going to be done? I was told approx 4-8 weeks. It will soon be 3 months. How much longer do you need? If a new tenant doesn’t move in because the wall looks so bad, who is paying for the loss of rent because NCH has not completed repairs within an acceptable timescale?

I want Licensing to now come prosecute me for moving a tenant in under damp conditions, so who do they prosecute? Can they prosecute themselves?

Share This Article


Chris @ Possession Friend

15:46 PM, 18th April 2018, About 6 years ago

Simple answer,
1. Ask Council for their 'Formal Complaints process'
2. Follow through to conclusion, and then
3. Local Government Ombudsman.

Mick Roberts

8:16 AM, 19th April 2018, About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Chris Daniel at 18/04/2018 - 15:46
Ridiculous in't it.
What should be one simple phone call.
And now the laborious task of complaining.

Mandy Thomson

9:30 AM, 21st April 2018, About 6 years ago

"Also Licensing need us to give tenants new key locks on change of tenancies." Selective licensing conditions that are beyond the requirements of national legislation are now ultra vires (outside scope of a government body's legal authority) following Brown v Hyndburn BC.

Therefore, Nottingham City Council will not be able to enforce the lock condition and should update their licence requirements to remove that and any other conditions that are beyond landlords' normal legal obligations.

Mick Roberts

10:01 AM, 21st April 2018, About 6 years ago

Yes Mandy. Nottingham Labour council was gonna remove some conditions that were enforceable elsewhere.
But now they leaving putting em back in.

So I and many other Landlords will be appealing every condition we don't like once it comes in.

Ooh by the way, the council rang me NEXT day after this post and after my email to the Labour Councillors. They wish to do my damp repair IMMEDIATELY!

Mick Roberts

10:42 AM, 4th July 2018, About 6 years ago

Can you Landlords please sign this & forward to all your contacts.
A small hope, we have to try anything & everything.

I'm sure we not get 10k signatures, but the more Licensing & Govt start to see these things, who knows.

“Petition calling for a review of Nottingham City Councils Selective Licensing."

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now