Tenant wants her boyfriend to move in

Tenant wants her boyfriend to move in

16:51 PM, 7th August 2014, About 7 years ago 37

Text Size

I have a good tenant on a 6 month AST expiring mid October 2014. Tenant wants her boyfriend wants to move in

She has asked if her boyfriend can move in.

Apart from reference him and draw up another 6 month AST with his name added, is there anything else I need to do?

He’s a self employed decorator and will provide 5 years tax returns as evidence of income, although she pays the rent currently.

Thanks and best wishes



by Peter Brown

22:53 PM, 7th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Shakeel - good idea re the inventory and the joint and severable.

Mark - thanks. Does the deposit need to be Repaid to the tenant and paid back again? I don't see another way of doing it on DPS.

Robert - the rent is at the going rate for the area so don't want to push them out.

by Roberta Goodall

1:01 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

I'm in a similar position - I found out from the agency that only the guy is my tenant, and not his g/f. I complained as I'd prefer to have both as tenants and they said that they do it this way because prospective tenants have to pay £60 each for referencing and so only one chose to be referenced. They have now redone the agreement with her name on it - but I'd already handed over the deposit to Safe Deposits Scotland. So what do I have to do?

by Paul landlord

5:56 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

To everyone for my information- Is there any reason to issue a new tenancy unless they particularly request both names to appear on the tenancy for their individual reasons?

Why not leave things as they stand in her sole name? The rent is not changing and even if the rent was to be increased this could be done by sec13 and mutual agreement with her.

This would avoid deposit protection issues and any other hassles?

by Mark Alexander

7:32 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Roberta Goodall" at "08/08/2014 - 01:01":

That is shocking and despicable practice on the part of the agent. They are supposed to be acting for you!

You now have a person living in your property whose details are not known and she has no liability to you! O.M.G!!!

You should report this agent to their professional body and look to change agents immediately. This is professional negligence.

It might all be fine but for all you know, the GF may have a list of CCJ's as long as your arm and a string of landlords who are owed rent and money for properties she has trashed.

What was this agent thinking?

Did they want to look good and save the tenants money?

What about protecting your interests?

Even if you had agreed for her not to be referenced (by the sounds of it you didn't agree to this), that's still no reason not to include her on the tenancy and make her contractually liable for rent and any damages caused.

At best, this is naivety on the part of the agent. Makes you wonder what other schoolboy errors they are making though doesn't it?

by Mark Lynham

9:08 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

wow, Mark, lets go in for the kill.... whilst i agree with what you are saying this agent bashing seems to be coming more common here... and i apologise if im saying the wrong thing but i've noticed a distinct change on here over the last month or so..

by Neil Woodhead

9:17 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Roberta Goodall" at "08/08/2014 - 01:01":

Roberta Bit confused here in Scotland it is illegal to charge a tenant a referencing fee so it would be your decision to pay the fees. However there is a Nationwide epidemic going on in the UK were unmarried couples are seeking single tenancies to get single person allowance on Council Tax, higher tax credits and Housing Benefits.

by Mark Alexander

9:33 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mark Lynham" at "08/08/2014 - 09:08":

Hi Mark

I am just speaking my mind. I despise bad agents in much the same way as I despise bad landlords, bad brokers and bad lenders.

I give them all a bashing when they deserve it, mostly on a no-names basis of course.

I am a landlord, I am also a non-exec director of a letting agency and I have previously been a mortgage broker and a mortgage lender. That does not stop me spotting and providing scams and bad practice and offering constructive feedback to help others though - in fact, I think it helps and may well the one of the reasons that so many questions are posted here.

This website was created to facilitate the sharing of best practice. To know how to do things right people also have to know when something is wrong.

I am sorry that you have taken offence at some of my comments, I can assure you they are well intended.

by Neil Woodhead

9:54 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mark Alexander" at "07/08/2014 - 17:03":

Hi Mark We use this document to regulate changes in occupiers of the property which for various reasons, the LL may not wish to grant a new tenancy. However they may be happy, until the existing Tenancy ends, for another occupier.

This is in effect a licence to occupy between the two occupiers and creates no
rights or exclusive possession to the property or any room to new occupier. It also confirms that the occupancy of the property is not recognised either formally or informally as being any form of tenancy.

by Neil Patterson

9:58 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mark Lynham" at "08/08/2014 - 09:08":

Mark was responding in this case to Roberta's individual comment about her agent not the article question.

This was not a general rant, but just specific to Roberta's circumstances. We are equally passionate supporters of good letting agents, which the vast majority are 🙂

by Mark Alexander

10:06 AM, 8th August 2014, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mark Alexander" at "08/08/2014 - 09:33":

Interesting, I've never come across it before.

Would you have any objection to posting the wording please?

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?