Tenant or owner won’t supply copy of tenancy agreement on property I am purchasing

14:06 PM, 7th July 2014

I’m in the process of purchasing a flat and shop under one deed.

It’s a hostile purchase (forced) and neither the owner, or the tenant, will give me a copy of the tenancy agreement or inventory. The tenant is now claiming the rent is a lot lower than they originally admitted too.

I’ve told the tenant I’m more than happy for them to remain as my tenants after I have purchased the property, but that doesn’t seem to help.

If, as I’m expecting, the tenant continues to be a problem, does anyone know how I go about evicting a tenant that I haven’t got an AST for?

Many thanks

MattShop

Comments

Puzzler

13:13 PM, 7th November 2014

Just found this thread...I don't know but I wouldn't have thought post-dated ASTs had any value??

Jay James

13:20 PM, 7th November 2014

Reply to the comment left by "Adrian Matthews" at "21/08/2014 - 12:17":

Hi Adrian

What is the latest on this situation?

Adrian Matthews

11:29 AM, 8th November 2014

Fortunately, the post-dated AST's have errors which make them invalid, so my solicitor has issued notice to quit to coincide with the ending of the current AST (4th Feb) with a new AST enclosed with it at the correct rental amount for the tenant to sign should she wish to remain in the flat. I think I may still have a few bumps ahead though.

Romain Garcin

12:09 PM, 8th November 2014

Hi,

Just a few points:
- You or your solicitor cannot serve notice before you have become the owner and thus landlord.
- By 'notice to quit' I'm hoping that you mean a section 21 notice and that you understand that such notice has no impact on the tenancy.
- There's nothing wrong with forming a contract to create a 6 months AST in the future. I'm not sure what 'error' can make such contract invalid. I'm not sure whether such contract would bind you in any case.

Adrian Matthews

15:08 PM, 8th November 2014

Yes, I am the owner/landlord and it was a section 21 notice given. Though my solicitor said there were several errors on the AST's, I am aware of one, and that is the previous owner had placed his company name as the landlord when the property was in his name not his company's.

Charline Caisse

13:49 PM, 10th November 2014

Property inventory services providers keep a proper database of all inventory reports conducted or at least the one I work for does. If you indeed have legal right over the property you might be able to get a copy but of course - if you know which inventory company provided the report.. : /

Protect Your Wealth In Property In 2021