My tenant gave me just 8 days notice – help please

11:13 AM, 22nd February 2015

My tenant gave me just 8 days notice – help please

My tenant gave me just 8 days notice – help please

I am a relatively new landlord and have a tenant who wants to leave : she emailed me on the 19th Feb and wants to leave by the end of the month, 28th Feb. My tenant gave me just 8 days notice - help please

The notice period is not explicit in the AST agreement but it does clearly state that the rent is payable monthly, 17th of each calendar month (which is the AST start date).

She paid cash for the first months rent but asked if she could pay weekly thereafter as that would suit her working position better than monthly payments. I agreed, though no changes to the AST were made. She has been in the property just on 9 months.

She has been told by a letting agency, presumably while looking for a bigger house, that she only needs to give one weeks notice as she pays weekly. I think she should give me one months notice as the original AST states monthly rent payable.

When her 6 month AST tenancy ended I have assumed that her contract is monthly and this is what the AST states, regardless of when she actually pays the rent.

The tenant and I have not discussed this at all.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as it is now she has effectively given me 8 days notice!

Many thanks

Denise Dee

Comments

Caring Landlord

8:02 AM, 16th March 2015

Reply to the comment left by "Gary Nock" at "22/02/2015 - 15:09":

Rent books for weekly rent were dropped as a legal requirement years ago

Gary Nock

8:28 AM, 16th March 2015

"Section 4(1) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides that:Where a tenant has a right to occupy premises as a residence in consideration of a rent payable weekly, the landlord shall provide a rent book or other similar document for use in respect of the premises"

Please advise which legislation has repealed this.

Portfolio Landlords: Now is the time to sell your properties for the best price