10:26 AM, 25th March 2019, About 3 years ago 3
I understand that when beneficial interest in property is transferred between spouses the amount of mortgage liability assumed by the transferee is regarded as consideration and SDLT is payable on any amount over the threshold of £125000, but can anyone tell me what happens when:
• Spouses hold the property as tenants in common
• the mortgage is in their joint names with joint and several liability i.e. each party is liable for the whole debt
• the share of ownership is varied to optimise the use of the basic rate tax band
I have thought of two possible answers but is either of them correct?
1. there is no consideration and hence no SDLT payable as the transferee has not assumed any additional liability in relation to the mortgage
2. HMRC would argue that the transferee has effectively taken over responsibility for the share of the mortgage corresponding to the share of ownership transferred i.e. ignoring the joint and several provision
Would the answer be any different if one spouse takes 100% of the beneficial ownership, having previously owned 50%?
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Advice and implementation provided by a practising Barrister-At-Law with £10,000,000 of Professional Indemnity InsuranceBook Now
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;|
|“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;|
|“personal data”||means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and|
|“We/Us/Our”||Means Property118 Ltd , a limited company registered in England under company number 10295964, whose registered address is 1st Floor, Woburn House, 84 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4AB.|
|Name of Cookie||Purpose||Strictly Necessary|
|JSESSIONID||Used only to collect performance data, with any identifiable data obfuscated||No|
|__cfduid||This cookie is strictly necessary for Cloudflare's security features and cannot be turned off.||Yes|
|Name of Cookie||First / Third Party||Provider||Purpose|
|__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|
|_fbp||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|