Replacement windows – do they need to be fire escape?

Replacement windows – do they need to be fire escape?

15:40 PM, 31st January 2015, About 7 years ago 16

Text Size

I have just bought my first property to rent. The first floor windows need replacing. The current windows have a top opener only and is about 20% of the total. I have heard that I may need to have bottom openers which allow fire escape?

Can I replace like for like or do I need the fire escape design? Replacement windows - do they need to be fire escape

Can the fire escape be the top half if I need to do this?

Any help/advice much appreciated

The property will be rented as a house not individual rooms and is ground and first floor only.




by Doug Green

16:02 PM, 2nd February 2015, About 7 years ago

So a flat requires escape windows even if there is designated escape route?

by Joe Bloggs

16:07 PM, 2nd February 2015, About 7 years ago

yes (these are all stand alone requirements). these are 'emergency' escape windows...i.e. if all else fails.

by Recardo Knights

16:59 PM, 3rd February 2015, About 7 years ago

bottom openings or side openings are easier to get out of. Would depend on the height and width of the windows for the style of widow you prefer.

Side hung openers can have fire escape hinges fitted at no extra cost and allow the opener to open wider than standard hinges,

Good Idea to ask for restrictors on bottom and side openers to stop young children falling or climbing out of the window. These can be unclipped to allow full opening if required, and automatically reset to restricted opening when closed again.

Hope this helps

by Puzzler

15:23 PM, 7th February 2015, About 7 years ago

Have just replaced windows in a block of flats - they come with keys these days so children cannot fall out (these are not for security as I believed and in fact do not prevent access from the outside)

Fire egress would probably not be required - we did not have to have it for the flats, the escape route is down the main stairs, we consulted both planning and the fire service

by Neil Robb

22:43 PM, 7th February 2015, About 7 years ago


Before you do anything speak to your local building control officer for advice it is normally free.

I have quite a few two bed terraced properties. I recently replaced the windows and was informed by the building control officer they do not need there approval to replace windows. Unless you are putting in a new opening for a window and that fire escapes are not there to allow people to escape but are there to allow fire brigade in.

I put in replacement windows and put a tilt and turn fire escape in. how ever the window must be 800mm from the floor level and you can not use restrictors on fire escape window.

I was initially told I needed building control when the officer came to inspect he said I did not as it was replacements.

by Joe Bloggs

23:21 PM, 7th February 2015, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Neil Robb" at "07/02/2015 - 22:43":

there is a lot of misinformation being posted. i would suggest google is a lot more reliable!
re replacement windows these are definitely controlled by building regs (or a certified body such as FENSA):

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?