Periodic Tenancy – Notice to Quit

Periodic Tenancy – Notice to Quit

12:07 PM, 7th December 2014, About 9 years ago 4

Text Size

My existing tenants have been on a periodic tenancy for the last 2 years since their first AST expired, do I still have to serve them with a Section 21 notice if I want them to quit my property or will a two month written notice do? Periodic Tenancy - Notice to Quit

Can I give this notice by email as long as I have acknowledgement from the tenant that they have received it?



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

12:10 PM, 7th December 2014, About 9 years ago

Hi Rohit

You need to serve a section 21 notice, preferably with proof of posting via a Post Office, which is free.

I do not recommend Recorded or Registered Delivery.

In my 25 years of experience I have come to the conclusion that it is better to get eviction dealt with by a professional as it usually saves a lot of time, money and stress in the long run.

See >>>


16:34 PM, 8th December 2014, About 9 years ago

I would definitely try the informal approach first and if you are on good terms with your tenants actually speak to them.

A sec 21 notice is certainly not a requirement at that stage so a written request giving 2 months notice would be fine,delivered in person or signed for by Royal Mail.

Romain Garcin

18:16 PM, 8th December 2014, About 9 years ago

Especially now that s.21(1) can be used during a periodic tenancy (with conditions), I think that giving 2 months notice in writing would be a valid s.21 notice.

15:36 PM, 13th December 2014, About 9 years ago

Whilst its true that a Landlords 2 month notice period doesn't have to be on a formal Sec 21 Notice, I would by far advise such.
As for delivery, First class Post with Cert of posting free as Mar Points out is one of Only TWO recognised forms of service by the courts - the other being hand delivered by a witness ( who would have to provide a Statement of Truth. Other forms of delivery can be accepted by the court but there's no guarantee that they will.
I certainly would Not post by Recorded or registered post, as if your tenant doesn't sign for the letter, it will be returned to Post Office as Undelivered.
Do yourself a favour and First class stamp and C.o.P every time..

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now