Do I need a new Hmo Licence if I add my spouse to title?

by Readers Question

3 months ago

Do I need a new Hmo Licence if I add my spouse to title?

Make Text Bigger
Do I need a new Hmo Licence if I add my spouse to title?

Hello all, I am in the process of remortgaging a fully licensed HMO flat, that is in my name only and I am adding my Spouse’s name on to the mortgage/title.

The Council is the Freeholder of the property.

My question is:

1) has any one done this before ?

2) and if so was there a new licence required by the council ?

many thanks in advance




Neil Patterson

3 months ago

Hi Ridvan,

A good question I have not run across before so I hope someone else might know. I am only guessing but would assume it would be at worst an amendment to the licence fingers crossed.

James Barnes

3 months ago

I'm not 100% sure you need to change anything unless you're spouse will be involved in managing the property.
There's certainly no harm in asking the Local Authority. If you need to, you can apply for a licence variation, this might be free or you may have to pay a lower fee which is usually the same as a renewal fee rather than full cost licence application.

Ridvan xhakaj

3 months ago

Reply to the comment left by James Barnes at 22/05/2018 - 09:27
Many thanks Neil/James

I ll let things roll it course and play by ear

Major John

3 months ago

Practice may of course vary by local authority, but I own an HMO jointly on Merseyside while holding the licence in my own right (with my co-owner noted as an interested party). My gut feeling would be that as long as the Council has someone on the hook for transgressions and you play ball, you should be fine.

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Respond now or get 3 year tenancies!

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More