10:53 AM, 11th March 2014, About 8 years ago 9
I have owned four single family cash flowing rental properties since 2006 and last year started looking for ways to expand my portfolio where I could invest in a property, add value (perhaps through refurb), recycle the deposit and invest in another etc.
My current portfolio, small though it is, cash flows for me and I want to find additional cash flowing properties. Maybe I am rusty but I am struggling to find single family property opportunities that stack up for me.
I am working on the basis of 35% of rental going for management, insurances, repairs, provision for voids, carpet & paint etc. This leaves 65% for finance and hopefully cash flow left over.
My aim is at least £200 PCM cash flow after all costs.
In my location (Cambridgeshire & Suffolk) a typical 3 bed property would rent for £600 to £650 PCM. After costs, 65% of this rental is £390 to £422 and this reduces to £190 to £222 left to pay finance after taking off my target £200.
At 5% interest that buys a £45k to £53k loan.
At 75% loan-to-value that would be a property worth £60k to £70k.
Properties of that value don’t achieve £600 PCM rents in my area, unless I look at HMO, but professional letting agents don’t seem to like them.
Perhaps I am being unrealistic expecting to cash flow £200 PCM after costs?
And so, I am going around in circles.
Am I getting my numbers wrong or am I looking in too narrow an geography?
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Advice and implementation provided by a practising Barrister-At-Law with £10,000,000 of Professional Indemnity InsuranceBook Now
Previous ArticleLondon Housing Solutions Rips off Landlords and LHA
Next ArticleA Tenants Perspective
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;|
|“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;|
|“personal data”||means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and|
|“We/Us/Our”||Means Property118 Ltd , a limited company registered in England under company number 10295964, whose registered address is 1st Floor, Woburn House, 84 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4AB.|
|Name of Cookie||Purpose||Strictly Necessary|
|JSESSIONID||Used only to collect performance data, with any identifiable data obfuscated||No|
|__cfduid||This cookie is strictly necessary for Cloudflare's security features and cannot be turned off.||Yes|
|Name of Cookie||First / Third Party||Provider||Purpose|
|__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|
|_fbp||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|