It’s not the tenant that’s the problem!

It’s not the tenant that’s the problem!

16:35 PM, 14th December 2022, About A year ago 3

Text Size

Is there anything you can do when it’s the neighbours who are being antisocial and affecting YOUR tenants?

I HAD lovely tenants with 2 autistic children living in a property. All was well, until the lovely old man next door died, and the neighbours from hell moved in!

Next door is a HA property, and the new neighbour blasts music non-stop from dawn to dusk (even when they aren’t home), has constant loud drunken arguments with her on/off boyfriend, let her kids trash the fence so their dog comes through, and generally disrespects her property and brings down the area.

Our tenants’ loved their home, but the autistic children were scared of the dog and disturbed by the constant music. When our tenant approached them to ask them to tone it down, he ended up being threatened by next doors’ boyfriend.

We told our tenant to keep a diary of their anti-social behaviour, contacted the HA in question, the council, the local community liaison officer, and the police were already regular visitors to next door. HA would give a warning, things would go quiet for a month or two and then it would all go back to as it was.

Their behaviour eventually ended up forcing my tenants out. We tried selling up at that point, but buyers would take one look out of the bedroom window and then walk straight out the door after seeing the sh*thole that is next-door’s garden. So now we’re back to the position of renting it out again, but worry for any future tenants…

Is there anything that can actually be done about anti-social neighbours of your tenants?

Thank you,


Share This Article



14:37 PM, 15th December 2022, About A year ago

Have you involved local councillors? Also, you could try the HA's chief exec and their regulator. Failing that, I guess it's praying your MP will get involved.


7:31 AM, 20th December 2022, About A year ago

If other neighbours are also affected get together to increase the voice. Keep records, times, events and a steady flow of complaint to the Council and the HA. If there is a rise in pests due to rubbish include this. Engage with the HA, and invite them to visit you. Keep it polite and business like. We found them reasonable. If you have been threatened inform the Police and Council. Visit your doctor with the family to get a medical and health assessment of the impact, including mental health. Include this in your complaints. Inform the Freeholder [If there is a Freeholder check in the head lease as their leaseholders (HA) can specifically be required to deal with anti social behaviour. If they fail to do so, they are not meeting their lease agreement - and can risk their lease. [In our situation in a small block, one leaseholder is an HA who had an anti social tenant. Most of our leaseholders also own the building. We engaged with and reminded the HA leaseholder of their lease obligation. The tenant was evicted]. Sorry for your misery. Imagine our world without Section 21 and a broken legal process.

Gary Hamilton

6:14 AM, 22nd December 2022, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by Robert at 20/12/2022 - 07:31
If it was me, in my area the council is currently looking for housing that is vacant to rent out. It's a scheme that they will pay you for the property and you then take nothing to do with it.
You get less rent and need to pay the usual checks it ( done by there own people, so bit dearer as would expect ).
There is document with all details but would take stress from you if was an option in your area.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now