HSE Warning to Landlords

by Property118.com News Team

12:08 PM, 23rd November 2011
About 7 years ago

HSE Warning to Landlords

Make Text Bigger
HSE Warning to Landlords

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have issued a warning to landlords, saying they will prosecute those “who fail in their duty of care to tenants” after a Walsall landlord was sentenced.

Khalid Hussain was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £3,000 in costs after he failed to replace a boiler that had broken down in January until October, and had only just obtained a gas safety licence for his appliances despite being issued with an Improvement Notice back in March. The Notice required Mr Hussain to get a licence by 6th of May.

When the engineer installed the new boiler in October, he found the cooker to be dangerous and was forced to isolate it.

HSE Inspector Pam Folsom commenetd on the case, saying “Mr Hussain has shown complete disregard for the safety and welfare of his tenants. He left them with no central heating during one of the coldest winters in recent memory.”

She continued, telling landlords to see this a reminder of their duties:

“Landlords must ensure all gas appliances are checked for safety at least once a year and provide a gas safety certificate for the property to show tenants that this has been done.

“Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which can kill and can also cause serious long-term health problems. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, dizziness, tiredness, vomiting, collapse and loss of consciousness.

“HSE will not hesitate to prosecute landlords who fail in their duty of care to tenants in this way.”



Comments

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?

OR

BECOME A MEMBER

Help calculating rents?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More