Tag Archives: Gas Safety Checks

HSE Warning to Landlords Cautionary Tales, HMO's & Student Lets, Landlord Law, Latest Articles

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have issued a warning to landlords, saying they will prosecute those “who fail in their duty of care to tenants” after a Walsall landlord was sentenced.

Khalid Hussain was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £3,000 in costs after he failed to replace a boiler that had broken down in January until October, and had only just obtained a gas safety licence for his appliances despite being issued with an Improvement Notice back in March. The Notice required Mr Hussain to get a licence by 6th of May. Continue reading HSE Warning to Landlords


HMO Landlord Pays £12,000 for Ignoring Fire Safety Cautionary Tales, HMO's & Student Lets, Latest Articles, Lettings & Management

A landlord was fined £12,000 for failing to provide a fire alarm and electricity supply in a shared house he let to tenants.

Sikander Hayat admitted seven safety offences in breach of house in multiple occupation regulations at Banbury Magistrates Court.

In addition to the fines, he was ordered to pay £300 costs.

Councillor Debbie Pickford, of Cherwell District Council, which brought the prosecution, said: “Mr Hayat left tenants without proper fire detection in an unsafe house.

“He knew what was required and we are pleased that the court shared our view of the seriousness of the offences. Safe standards must be maintained and we shall continue to take action to make sure they are.”

“The council is committed to dealing with unsatisfactory housing. We work with landlords whenever we can and the majority of our enforcement work is achieved informally. Where we find serious breaches of the law, or in cases where landlords or managers repeatedly fail to do what the law requires, as in this case, we will take them to court.

Tenants lived in fear of faulty gas boiler

Another buy to let landlord in Huddersfield left his tenant at risk by ignoring warnings to check gas appliances in the property.

A tenant and her daughter were left with a faulty boiler and an unsafe gas fire during the winter.
Eventually, Kirklees Council carried out the safety work for the tenant.

Anthony Brownson, was contacted several times between May 2010 and March 2011 by health and safety officers.

Leeds Magistrates Court heard he ignored their requests to produce a gas safety certificate for the home. He also failed to respond to improvement notice and failed to turn up to an interview.

Brownson pleaded guilty to breaking gas safety regulations and failing to comply with an improvement notice. He was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £2,089 costs.


Buy to let landlord refitted dangerous gas supply Latest Articles, Property Market News

Court gavelTenants’ lives were at risk when gas was reconnected to dangerous fittings after a safety engineer cut off the supply

The landlord ignored warnings fittings were faulty – including a flue that was fitted back to front.

Asif Azam of Whitelands Road, High Wycombe, was fined £800 and ordered to pay £2,000 costs after he admitted charges of ignoring gas safety regulations at Aylesbury Crown Court. Continue reading Buy to let landlord refitted dangerous gas supply


Buy to let landlord pays £1,400 for failing to check gas safety Latest Articles

A landlord who failed to safety check and look after gas appliances in a buy to let house rented to a tenant has to pay £1,400 fines and costs.

Property investor Michael Smith was reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) by his tenant for failing to provide a valid gas safety certificate. Continue reading Buy to let landlord pays £1,400 for failing to check gas safety


Gas watchdog hots up on safety checks Latest Articles, Lettings & Management

Landlords are urged to check out gas safety at their properties and to make sure properly qualified fitters are carrying out work on boilers, heating and cookers.

Student landlords should carry out safety checks before the start of the new academic year, says the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), the organisation responsible for enforcing gas safety rules. Continue reading Gas watchdog hots up on safety checks


Property Forum and News website where UK landlords and letting agents share best practice