Holiday let, an annex and a narrowboat

Holiday let, an annex and a narrowboat

14:13 PM, 2nd November 2020, About 4 years ago 2

Text Size

I have a cottage in south York, with the potential to create a small annex with a separate entrance.

I plan to live on my narrowboat most of the year, but with me occasionally staying in the annex, perhaps one night a week. Meanwhile, the 2-bed cottage will be a holiday let.

The ‘annex’ will not have a kitchen, just a small living room with a mezzanine bedroom and bathroom above, washing machine, about 3.5 metres by 3.5 meters.

My understanding is as I have no mortgage I do not need planning permission for a holiday let.

Can I ask for advice on any permission I should seek, problems that might arise, or perhaps hopefully the news that if the use is so limited I am not required to seek any permissions?

Thank you


Share This Article


Graham Bowcock

9:53 AM, 3rd November 2020, About 4 years ago

Whether or not you have a mortgage has no bearing on the requirement for planning consent.
It's not clear if the creation of an annex is a new build, or within an exisiting building. In general you cannot just create new dwellings without planning consent. There are permitted development rights to extend an exisiting property, but once these are used up you cannot have them again.

Your local authority will provide guidance on what is permitted locally; although there are national rules, there may still be local quirks, especially when it comes to tourism. I suggest you look on their website under the householder section of the planning department. A local planning consultant may also give you some advice on what goes on in the area.

Darren Peters

9:58 AM, 3rd November 2020, About 4 years ago

Assuming you have no other properties, if the cottage remains your principal private residence then no CGT when you sell.

Also if you continue to live in your home you can receive up to £7500 per year from _lodgers_ tax free. Ie if you live there they are lodgers, if you don't then they are not. So, subject to some details you can do what you want very tax efficiently.

Smarter minds than mine will be along to discuss how often you need to be at home and how much you can separate parts of your house after you build your extension.

Depending on the nature of your extension you may need planning permission or you may be able to do it under permitted development. Your builder should be able to advise.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now