Has change of use application criteria relaxed?

Has change of use application criteria relaxed?

9:48 AM, 30th July 2020, About 4 years ago 1

Text Size

I bought a 4 bed property outright in Derbyshire and I would like to convert it from a c3 to a C2 (see below)

I have applied to the council for permission and waiting for a response.

However, with the recent Permitted Development relaxation by the government to stimulate building has the law about this application been eased?

From the Planning Portal >> Click here

Part C

  • C1 Hotels – Hotels, boarding and guest houses where no significant element of care is provided (excludes hostels)
  • C2 Residential institutions – Residential care homes, hospitals, nursing homes, boarding schools, residential colleges and training centres
  • C2A Secure Residential Institution – Use for a provision of secure residential accommodation, including use as a prison, young offenders institution, detention centre, secure training centre, custody centre, short term holding centre, secure hospital, secure local authority accommodation or use as a military barracks
  • C3 Dwellinghouses – This class is formed of three parts
    • C3(a) covers use by a single person or a family (a couple whether married or not, a person related to one another with members of the family of one of the couple to be treated as members of the family of the other), an employer and certain domestic employees (such as an au pair, nanny, nurse, governess, servant, chauffeur, gardener, secretary and personal assistant), a carer and the person receiving the care and a foster parent and foster child
    • C3(b) covers up to six people living together as a single household and receiving care e.g. supported housing schemes such as those for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems
    • C3(c) allows for groups of people (up to six) living together as a single household. This allows for those groupings that do not fall within the C4 HMO definition, but which fell within the previous C3 use class, to be provided for i.e. a small religious community may fall into this section as could a homeowner who is living with a lodger
  • C4 Houses in multiple occupation – Small shared houses occupied by between three and six unrelated individuals, as their only or main residence, who share basic amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom.

Many thanks


Share This Article



9:04 AM, 1st August 2020, About 4 years ago

I think permitted development is for building as you say above, not change of use. If you have already applied, what is your question? Do you mean they might look on your application more favourably? That would probably depend on what kind of residential institution you were planning to provide, whatever it is it will have a raft of fire, safety, room size rules.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now