EPCs – New ones issued via email link only?

EPCs – New ones issued via email link only?

14:25 PM, 23rd October 2020, About A year ago 27

Text Size

I have had a raft of new EPC’s done and the assessors have just emailed me the link to the .gov site where they are stored. You can’t download them (I have tried).

Question – do I have to send a copy of the new EPC to the existing tenant? (they already had a copy of the previous valid one when they moved in)

Can I just send them the link also for reference?

As I understood it you DON’T have to give the tenant a copy of the new EPC (unless you plan on issuing them with a S21) as the whole point of an EPC is to alert the incoming tenant about the eco status of the property before they enter into a contract to move in, so they are aware of the costs of running the property etc. Am I right?

Is it also the case that you don’t even have to carry out an EPC even if its date has expired if the existing tenant is in situ – in other words, you only really need to get a valid EPC in place before the NEXT tenant moves in?

Many thanks

Reluctant Landlord


by DSR

17:28 PM, 28th October 2020, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by gachilleos at 28/10/2020 - 17:23
how does getting a new EPC done in a Tier 2 area stand??? Properties are in Birmingham and already had one Assessor say no he's not visiting anywhere under current restrictions.

by DSR

17:31 PM, 28th October 2020, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by gachilleos at 28/10/2020 - 17:23
One property is managed entirely by a Housing Association and they let individual rooms. I am assuming I just need an EPC for the whole house and not for individual rooms?

by gachilleos

23:03 PM, 28th October 2020, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by WP at 28/10/2020 - 17:28
Hi WP,

These are the current guidelines as set by the government regarding EPCs and Covid;


As can be seen it's not really a straight forward answer. The government are stating that as EPCs are a legal requirement, they are still required legally to be in place. The guidelines are pretty much saying, it can be done as long as there are precautions in place.

Whether access is permitted by the tenant is a different question. It would be advisable to speak directly with the tenants, and if they are not comfortable under the current circumstances, get them to sign a letter stating this. At least this would be seen as giving them options under the landlord and tenant act.

If the assessors are not visiting the areas, maybe wait till the area goes back to tier 1 but seek legal advise on this or speak to an accreditation for more clarification.

Kind regards,


by gachilleos

23:21 PM, 28th October 2020, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by WP at 28/10/2020 - 17:31
Hi WP,

This is actual more complex than people realise. As this property is a HMO, you would need to see the requirements for that first (which again are a bit grey).

If the rooms are self contained and contain both a bathroom (shower room) and kitchen, then they will require an individual EPC as they are seen as self contained flats/studios and a commercial EPC would be required for the communal areas.

If the property has shared facilities such as bathrooms and kitchens then a single domestic EPC is required on the whole property. If the property is deemed the same as just mentioned but for the use of commercial aspects then a commercial EPC is required on the whole property.

To get further complicated, depending on what the council states, you might be exempt under a HMO.

Under point 21 of section Circumstances where an EPC may not be required of the document THE DOMESTIC PRIVATE
RENTED PROPERTY MINIMUM STANDARD set out by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the following states;

"HMO’s (Houses in Multiple Occupation, for example these can be bedsits, hostels, shared houses etc) which have not been subject to a sale in the previous ten years, or which have not been let as a single rental in the past ten years".

Therefore If you have a HMO license for the past 10 years or more and the property hasn't been sold or rented as single dwelling (and hasn't had a previous EPC), the property would be exempt from requiring an EPC.

If the last point doesn't apply to you, I would say as a "worst case" scenario have an EPC done on the whole property unless the rooms are self contained and rented individually, then get one done on each room/studio.

Kind regards,


by DSR

10:40 AM, 29th October 2020, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by gachilleos at 28/10/2020 - 23:21
sorry George one last question!
If I get an EPC then decide to take on board some of the recommendations, do I need another EPC done again after to reflect this and show the increase in the rating? or do I keep then evidence then when the next EPC is due again (presumably 10 years time) present this to show works were undertaken since the one previous?

by gachilleos

13:14 PM, 29th October 2020, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by WP at 29/10/2020 - 10:40
Hi WP,

That is no problem, I hope my answers help?

As I've raised this with my accreditation previously, if you've had works carried out in accordance with the recommendations, it is required to have a new EPC which would reflect these changes.

I have also been told that if we do another assessment such as a retrofit assessment and notice a significant error within the EPC, that we are required to highlight this to the landlord and carry out a new EPC inspection.

It might be worth speaking to your assessor and see if they can carry out a draft EPC prior to lodging. This would highlight the recommendations to allow you to carry them out and a reinspection can then be arranged to complete the EPC. Please note that some might charge extra for this service.

The issue with not declaring a new EPC after the works have been carried out is that in 10 years time you might lose or misplace the evidence required which won't benefit you in the long run. Instances where I have attended properties where I can clearly see and inspect certain aspects such as internal wall insulation but don't have physical evidence (photos during installation or a certificate) and we have to enter the outcome as "as built" within our software which would result in no insulation assumed. It states in our terms under the accreditation schemes that we are not permitted to "take the landlords word".

Hope this provides some clarity for you?

Kind regards,


by Maurice Mcguire

13:52 PM, 11th March 2021, About 10 months ago

Hi Can you please tell me if I can use equivalent to 50 mm foil quilt as insulation on walls in a flat is this recognised by EPS assessor.My assessor said his computer program will not accept this.Thanks

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?