Electric safety certificate/CCU/fuse board

by Readers Question

9:57 AM, 14th September 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Electric safety certificate/CCU/fuse board

Make Text Bigger
Electric safety certificate/CCU/fuse board

Hello,  I have a number of properties where the fuse board/CCU is not in a metal cabinet or metal frame. In fact on some certified electricians have over the years replaced the old board with plastic boards to include circuit breakers etc.

I not convinced that in any circumstances – or particularly plastic boxes need to be changed. Yes, the wiring glands should be tight and no unprotected live wires. The reason to change is the risk of fire but the plastic housing is not the risk or cause of a fire it is the wing installation itself! Further, the plastic is a non-conductor so if there was a wiring/poor earthing issue touching the box would be safer than a metal one poorly earthed say (I assume metal boxes have to be earthed).

So the plastic box has a risk of fire. A metal box has a risk of electric shock. Neither is a risk if properly insulated and maintained.

To me, it should be a C3, not a C1?


Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Paul Shears

14:25 PM, 14th September 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Dave S at 14/09/2020 - 11:02
I have a similar electrical back ground and I have wired up many things including entire houses over the past 50 years.
I really am sick to the back teeth of reading about yet another "unintended consequence" when yet another regulation is introduced in yet another aspect of our "lives" in this grossly over populated little island. These regulations are to reinforce yet another parasitic old boys club and I am not just talking about electrics here.
The underlying problem is that everything is dumb'ed down to tiny tasks, each of which requires "certification" or approval to work from some large corporation.
The underlying issue here is the utterly ridiculous blind indoctrination that anybody can be taught anything.
I am sick and tired of meeting with tradesmen, structural engineers of all ages etc etc, who are fully "qualified", "licensed" etc, who are utterly incompetent at achieving a task but the most important question of all is never asked: "SHOULD THEY HAVE EVER BEEN TRAINED IN THE FIRST PLACE?"
I have just had a EICR test done where the verbal and written report is both inconsistent and utterly wrong.
My usual course of action in these circumstances to to pay the idiot to go away and then look for a competent person or do it myself.
On this occasion I intend to get another electrician whom I know and trust but who does not do EICR tests, to "correct" the reasons for my EICR failure and certify that this has been done via small works document.
I'm not sure if this is technically correct but I really cannot go on hiring and paying more of these idiots before I finally get lucky and find someone who:
1. Is honest.
2. Is competent.
3. Acts on his own responsible judgement rather than look for more work fraudulently. A pointless call out fee to re-examine the job is a nice little earner especially if they fail the EICR again.
These people know full well that the average landlord will either accept everything that they are told or will just pay up anyway.
Sorry if this offends any tradesmen or structural engineers reading this but competent, honest people are a diminishing breed.
Just try hiring somebody to do your own job before you have a go at me. You may be in for quite a shock (No pun intended).

Jireh Homes

14:37 PM, 14th September 2020
About 2 weeks ago

Concur that a plastic enclosure rather than a metal one should be a C3 - Advisory, although there may be issues with upgrading to fit RCDs which may make this a sensible "upgrade".

mike coltart

11:22 AM, 19th September 2020
About A week ago

i am an older electrician , now getting out of the trade, why well age is against me ,but what hurts is the amount of (so called electricians we noe have roaming the streets, having completed the so called electrical courses and gained all these certificates, having done the theory side ofthe training, then they are let loose to rip off who knows , the have no experience
of working say within an old dwelling with loads of bodged work having been done in thepast , many of them just continue the bodges , and charge, as for these so called certification schemes for building regs etc , again it prints money in fees for these companies who run the schemes (does not matter which one ) we need a law that prevents people working on any electrical job , unless they have been employed by an electrical company for say two years, so they can have proof they are trained,but its thesame with most trades , in the property maintenance areas, some of late have offered me £200.00 per job??? so what are they charging the end user? its a rip off across the board all trades, so next time you want a trades man. i would not pick out any in the on line trade sites, i would say get some one who you can check on the background of work they have done , and ( NEVER PAY UP FRONT )always in stages with a retainer at the last payment, protect your investment from these rip off merchants, as i say its leading bodies who make the rules , but they never follow up whos doing what and whos the job done , even the once a year electrical /plumbing competence check are rubbish , as they look at have you done the form filling correct and lets look at one job ,
nothing can beat a person who has spent many years working in the trades.can do the job/ and does it correct .but unless you are willing to spend a fortune on courses and get a certificate thaat means nothing your classed as a bodger and not allowed to do the job anymore. where are the skilled people ??? they left thet rades for this reason. mike

Paul Shears

15:53 PM, 19th September 2020
About A week ago

Reply to the comment left by mike coltart at 19/09/2020 - 11:22
Well said sir!


8:13 AM, 21st September 2020
About 6 days ago

Our agent's electrician (in London) charges lots for basic tasks eg £100 to replace a light pendant and fit battery heat alarm, which came up as C2s on EICR. The consumer unit is still a C3 but others that have not come up before are emergency lighting next to the consumer unit and adding an SPD (type not specified). Also lack of power points above worktop in kitchen! I've not seen F1s before. More excuses for repeat visits at London call out charges? How does one verify the earthing system and main fuse in a block of flats? And if the conduit system in the building is providing poor continuity of CPC (C3) how can a single flat owner do anything about it, other than persuade others, landlords and owner-occupiers, that major works are needed? Should that be a LIM? If not moving an appliance (to check a fused spur) is a LIM? Incidentally on the previous report (3yrs old) there were 4 LIMS and 2 C3s, nothing else. Now there are 6 LIMs, 8 C3s, 4 F1s and 2 C2s. Same property, same electrician.

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Ex-tenant threatening legal action over parking?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More