Dry rot in two leasehold flats and the joint freeholder is not responding?

Dry rot in two leasehold flats and the joint freeholder is not responding?

15:14 PM, 12th May 2022, About 2 years ago 2

Text Size

My daughter owns a 1st-floor leasehold flat with 50% of the freehold. In April last year, dry rot was identified in her staircase and the adjoining exterior wall. The owner of the ground floor flat (GFF) was alerted to this and he has also had a dry rot survey which proved positive.

The survey for her 1st floor flat found that the rendering on the exterior wall was defective which had allowed rainwater to penetrate into the brickwork. Both flat owners agreed to jointly fund the re-rendering of the exterior wall, which has now been done.

The company who have quoted for the eradication of the dry rot cannot start work until both owners agree to have all the interior work done. The work includes a new staircase in my daughter’s flat. She has agreed to pay for 50% of all the work needed.

In order to halt the progress of dry rot in my daughter’s flat, I have removed all the interior plastering which was contaminated with dry rot. I treated the staircase plus all the brickwork and adjacent timbers with appropriate fluid and the spread of dry rot has been halted in her flat.

The owner of the GFF has not reciprocated nor has he asked the company to commence eradication in his flat. His plumber found that there was a water leak under the floorboards in his GFF and he says this could be where the dry rot started. He has told me that he is making a claim with the insurers and that this claim is ongoing.

If approved, the work could be funded in whole or part by the insurer. However, this has now been ongoing for over a year and the owner of the GFF is difficult to liaise with and becoming more so as time goes on.

He is a solicitor and doesn’t like me asking for an update. He is not currently responding to me.

What can we do please?


Share This Article


Andy 46

11:31 AM, 13th May 2022, About 2 years ago

Try to find out who the insurers are and speak to them directly, you may get some direction with what the hold up is?

Robert M

13:05 PM, 17th May 2022, About 2 years ago

Write to him advising that as he is a solicitor he has an obligation to deal with such matters in a professional manner and you reserve the right to complain to the Law Society with copies of all unanswered emails etc.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now