Do I have a right to know who lives in my house?

14:20 PM, 24th March 2021
About 3 weeks ago

Do I have a right to know who lives in my house?

Do I have a right to know who lives in my house?

I recently rented out my property and instructed a letting agent to fully manage it. As we are a family of tradesmen, I like to do any of the maintenance/gas safety checks/electrical certificates myself using my family.

Today the letting agent contacted me to say that the gas check was due. I said that I would be doing it myself, the only problem being that I didn’t have any contact details for the tenant and therefore asked if I could be supplied with these.

I was informed that due to GDPR they were not allowed to give me any tenants details or contact details and that I would need to let them know who I was using for the gas check, and they would make the arrangements.

Whilst I am happy for them to make the arrangements, I cannot believe that I am not allowed to know who is in my property. I was also not given a copy of the contract as again I was informed that due to GDPR I was not allowed to see the information.

Can anyone throw any light on this please.

Arthur

Comments

hpbennett

15:41 PM, 27th March 2021
About 3 weeks ago

GDPR is a bit like Health and Safety, a convenient hiding place for the over zealous and the incompetent.

I always make a point of meeting prospective tenants personally after the due diligence is done, and before they sign up and move in. It helps to humanise the relationship and it gives you as landlord an opportunity to use your instincts before committing. I also always exchange mobile numbers with tenants, even though I use a managing agent. I have contact details for emergencies and I tell the tenants to deal with the agents.

Rob Crawford

19:02 PM, 2nd April 2021
About 2 weeks ago

Your agent either does not understand gdpr or is hiding behind it. All the agent has to do is get the tenants approval to include you as a receipriant of their data. The agent should also state in the AST that they are acting on your behalf. I do agree that landlords should also be ICO registered and fail to see how in the modern day that some data will not be stored electronically or used by the landlord to verify the rental arrangement often asked by the LA, mortgage providers or insurers.

David Price

11:25 AM, 7th April 2021
About A week ago

Give the agent 7 days to supply you with full information, essentially a copy of his file, and if he does not provide everything then take your case to the ombudsman. I did just that in similar circumstnaces and was awarded compensation of £500.

Post Covid Staycation boom could be taxing