Cooking a meal now a problem?

Cooking a meal now a problem?

9:30 AM, 12th August 2019, About 3 years ago 4

Text Size

I am the landlord of a 3 story block of 12 flats. Today it was brought to my attention that the fire alarm has become an issue as a result of someone simply cooking a meal, the flat is let as a holiday rental.

The internal layout of this top floor flat I discovered has changed – moving the bathroom to the old kitchen and vice versa, making the lounge now open plan to the new kitchen. The leaseholder obviously has removed a couple of walls including the private lobby in the flat that was required for fire regulations.

They appear not to have changed the smoke and heat detectors around, so now the alarm sounds frequently upsetting the other leaseholders of the building.

The lease stipulates no internal alterations without the landlords consent.
Where do I stand in relation to this –
a) With the fire regulations.
b) Putting the flat back to its original design.
c) Any compensation?

I would appreciate your thoughts,
Thank you,


Ian Narbeth View Profile

10:00 AM, 12th August 2019, About 3 years ago

I suggest you get legal advice from a solicitor. You may have a claim if the leaseholder has breached the terms of the lease.

Dylan Morris

14:19 PM, 12th August 2019, About 3 years ago

Regarding the fire alarm (I assume it’s a standard domestic smoke alarm) firing off when cooking it’s probably the earlier type of “ionisation” alarm which fires when it detects particles in the air. This type can be set off easily if cooking food such as bacon or even toast. They are still available and useful if you want to put a smoke alarm in a loft.
The newer type is “photoelectric” and these generally do not fire falsely when cooking. They can be fitted in or near to a cooking area. (Although they are general purpose and can be fitted elsewhere such as a lounge, hallway etc). They work on changes in light and therefore not affected by cooking, or to a much much less degree. No good for a loft though as it’s dark up there.


21:20 PM, 12th August 2019, About 3 years ago

take legal advice. also contact the local council as permission is usually required to remove walls and esp in relation to fire issues in changing a hallway


18:52 PM, 13th August 2019, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by colette at 12/08/2019 - 21:20
Would he really want to alert the council at this stage?

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now