Condensation compensation

by Readers Question

22:38 PM, 6th September 2013
About 8 years ago

Condensation compensation

Make Text Bigger
Condensation compensation

Am I liable if my tenants property gets damaged by condensation? Condensation compensation

The flat has had a history of condensation, although obviously I didn’t tell him that.

I cleaned and decorated before he moved him.

I have paid him £500 in compensation although he is not satisfied as he paid over £1,500 for his new furniture when he moved in.

The flat is now sold and he’s moved out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just to add it was a ground floor flat and windows could not be left open.

Tony King


Mark Alexander

12:19 PM, 10th September 2013
About 8 years ago

Not wishing to be accused of scaremongering but please see the article we have just published on behalf of Houslow Council >>>

micky alderson

12:49 PM, 10th September 2013
About 8 years ago

Well Mr Tony King the first thing you should do is change your Joe (JOKING GEDDIT ) Its " landlords " like you that get people like me a bad name.

You have failed bigtime in your duty of care to this Tenant YOU failed to alert him to the probelm, a problem that should have been sorted by you proir to the AST starting, you cleaned and decorated did you think about an airbrick or venting the windows.

It would seem you want to make a fast Buck and Bugger the poor Tenant ,I hope that he reports you to your local Authority and sues you in the Small Court.

In the meantime give up playing at being a Landlord its for us Big-Boys stick to Prize Bingo instead....MORON!!!!

Mike T

8:31 AM, 11th September 2013
About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "A Jenkins" at "09/09/2013 - 20:36":

Have you thought about secondary glazing. I had some in one of my flats and it was great, and it's much cheaper than double glazing.

Sharon Betton

10:53 AM, 11th September 2013
About 8 years ago

Whilst I agree that lifestyle is the general cause of much condensation, that is not the situation in this case - the landlord disguised the condition, having been fully aware of the history of condensation.
There are various things installations that can help - in the North West, we have links with Condensation Cured who offer a permanent solution. I would also say - a de-humidifier can offer some respite and help with a drying out process if measures are installed, but this should be the landlord's expense, not the tenants - glad to say the landlords I work with would not hesitate to provide one, at least temporarily. Perhaps as well this property has been sold!

Jason Landis

2:57 AM, 15th September 2013
About 8 years ago

Envirovent aren't the only company that do PIV systems, try Able Air same systems and a fraction of the cost of an Envirovent installation.

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Revised Right to rent requirments from 21st June