CCJ’s, how do I get them registered?

CCJ’s, how do I get them registered?

8:11 AM, 13th June 2014, About 8 years ago 13

Text Size

In cases where tenants are evicted, and the court makes a money judgement order, does this always get registered with the Registry Trust, and with the various credit reference agencies, (e.g. Experian, Equifax, etc)? CCJ's, how do I get them registered?

If not, how can landlords get these judgements registered?




by Howard Reuben CeMap CeRER

12:59 PM, 15th June 2014, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Yvette Newbury " at "14/06/2014 - 14:52":

Attachment of earnings is exactly what we've done recently to a tenant that vanished leaving thousands of pounds of damage, reparation and lost rent.

We tracked her down (used a tracing company at first who all they did was look on facebook, twitter, linkedin and googled her - everything that I could (and did) do for myself - waste of time they were!) and after doing it all ourselves (Money Claim Online, judgement from the court etc.), we then had many issues getting anything out of her as repayment towards the debt.

She offered £1 per month (worked out to 280 years before I got my money back - I'm young'ish but even I couldn't wait that long!) and so an attachment of earnings order was applied for (another £100 court fee on top of all of the others) and we're now going down that road instead.

She even had the audacity to say please don't write to my employer as that's embarrassing for her!!

I mentally wrote off the debt last year and £4k'ish is not life changing but it's the principal and I will always hunt'em down and make'em pay - embarrassing or otherwise!

by Paul landlord

13:48 PM, 15th June 2014, About 8 years ago

It's also worthwhile for anybody unfamiliar with the County Court to note that effectively the Court has very few and also very blunt 'teeth'.

I have been extremely frustrated at times over pursuing debt with them.

The main point I have come across which I cannot get around is once I have traced my debtor tenant to their new address I cannot find out who their current employer is to get the attachment enforced.

I have paid for the tenant to attend court to give an account of their position. they lie and say they are not working even though I know they are.

After receiving the account of their circumstances in writing from the court in which they have stated they are unemployed I phoned them to as k if this had been proven by checking with dwp or tenant showing evidence. I was told the tenant had signed a 'statement of truth' so that's how they knew. I put forward the possibility of the debtor not telling the truth and was met with incredulity in that this would be lying to the court and this couldn't be the case.

When I eventually sarcastically suggested that we could save millions on our legal system- 'did you murder such and such?' answer on a statement of truth please- well they said they didn't so its obviously true!! Who needs expensive trials and solicitors- just get the statement of truth as no one never lies in court, they hung up on me!!

My tracing agents cant find out whether they are working and who their employer is because of data protection. The court who could find out if they are really unemployed wont.

Anybody know a way around the catch22?

Had to write it off after expense and time

by Jan Martin

14:55 PM, 15th June 2014, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Stu Lu" at "14/06/2014 - 18:34":

Yes you will need the guarantors address. You will need to prove that you have attempted to get whatever amount is owing before you apply to the court. It may be that the guarantor doesn't know about this outstanding amount so you have to give them chance to settle with you . I always hand deliver all my letters and have a witness with me . If you live a distant away I would say record them but to be honest the post office doesn't always knock the door for a signature .
I sometimes use a tracing agent to find address and place of work but do find that there is info on internet Facebook, twitter etc
Also remember that you can put both names on the court paperwork and sue both the tenant and the guarantor for the same money .

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Landlord Tax Planning Book Now