Cabin house – Is it legal ?

Cabin house – Is it legal ?

11:31 AM, 22nd May 2017, About 5 years ago 4

Text Size

Hello, I’m being offered an accommodation in form of a cabin house / green house as a part of a payment for my services.

How could I check if the cabin is registered with local authorities as a unit suitable for this sort of arrangement ? As well as are there any other legal obligations, regulations I ought to be aware of as a tenant in this case ?

The cabin itself has no concrete foundations, is one story, with kitchenette, and a small bathroom, and does not exceed 4 m in height .

Thank you


Neil Patterson View Profile

11:34 AM, 22nd May 2017, About 5 years ago

Hello Patricia,

Will you be renting the property on an Agreed Shorthold Tenancy contract (AST)?

How long will you be staying there and will it be your main residence?

Is the accommodation part of your employment contract and PAYE?

If there are no proper contracts in place I would be concerned about this arrangements legitimacy.

Gary Dully

0:31 AM, 23rd May 2017, About 5 years ago

Bed in a shed?

Ring the local council

Michael Holmes

16:25 PM, 23rd May 2017, About 5 years ago

Hello Patricia,

You need to ascertain from the owner what the basis is for the arrangement. If the accommodation is tied to the job, it is probably registered with the local authority. If this is something that he/she has just come up with out of the blue, then it may not be. The bottom line is really how desperate are you too get the job and what level of risk you are happy to take on. From reading your question, it seems not much, I should walk away in that case. I personally wouldn't start conducting a search with local council, if you get a negative result from them, you may just unleash a s***t storm on your putative employer, not really fair on him and I expect you wouldn't be too happy about it either.

John walker

15:23 PM, 29th May 2017, About 5 years ago

Be aware that if the property is registered with the LA, there may be planning restrictions on its use as a permanent residence, i.e. it has to be vacated for one or more months in the year. Also check on proposed cost of mains services to the property, plus repairs, renovations etc. All these would be covered in an AST agreement, including insurance.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now