10:45 AM, 26th July 2016, About 5 years ago 4
I have recently bought a second buy to let property and a little unsure of what costs that can actually be deducted from my income.
I let out my first property since 2014 and the purchase of the second property completed in May 2016 and it was then been let out in June. I am currently completing tax returns for April 2016 and would like to have some advise of which of these purchasing costs (if any) can be deducted against my rental income?
– legal cost of purchasing the second property
– survey fee
– mortgage arrangement fee
– mortgage application fee
– other costs associated when purchasing this property e.g. searches, ID verification etc
My questions are:
– which of the above costs can be deducted against rental income?
– although the completion of the second property was done in May 2016 but some of the costs was spent between Jan 2016 to April 2016 (i.e. within the April 2016 tax year)- should the costs be claimed in 2016 or 2017 (as the property was let from June 2016 so it falls in the next tax year)? If the costs to be claimed in 2016 it will mean that it will be deducted against the rental income from my first property- will this be ok?
– I have also tried to purchase another property back in Dec 2015 but the buyer dropped out last minute and I have already spent some legal costs and survey fees- can I deduct this cost/loss from my rental income in 2016?
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Advice and implementation provided by a practising Barrister-At-Law with £10,000,000 of Professional Indemnity InsuranceBook Now
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;|
|“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;|
|“personal data”||means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and|
|“We/Us/Our”||Means Property118 Ltd , a limited company registered in England under company number 10295964, whose registered address is 1st Floor, Woburn House, 84 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4AB.|
|Name of Cookie||Purpose||Strictly Necessary|
|JSESSIONID||Used only to collect performance data, with any identifiable data obfuscated||No|
|__cfduid||This cookie is strictly necessary for Cloudflare's security features and cannot be turned off.||Yes|
|Name of Cookie||First / Third Party||Provider||Purpose|
|__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|
|_fbp||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|