Be warned – Use your own electrical contractor?

Be warned – Use your own electrical contractor?

9:17 AM, 7th October 2020, About 2 years ago 25

Text Size

A note which should be issued to all Landlords using a managing agent for their properties: You may be aware that new Electrical Regulations are coming into force for rental accommodation. Until now, it was only necessary to have a full electrical installation test every 10 years. Under the new regulations, this period is now reduced to 5 years and prior tests and reports seem to be null and void.

Please be aware that it is preferable for you to source your own electrical contractor who is suitably qualified and registered to carry out the inspection for you and produce the Report. Do not leave it to your managing agent to arrange testing via their preferred electrical contractor. Why not, you ask? Because agents are paying low rates for a survey and the only way a contractor can financially justify doing the survey is to make it up on the remedial work needed.

This means landlords can face huge bills for work that is not truly needed. Unless you are a suitably qualified electrical person, it will be difficult to challenge an inflated report. I have personally experienced such a report, but being a Chartered Electrical Engineer was able to raise queries to the extent that the contracting company withdrew it and cancelled the survey charge – with the result that my remedial bill dropped from £980 to £280 – so be warned.



by Jireh Homes

14:46 PM, 11th October 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by steve gilbert at 11/10/2020 - 10:30
Hi Steve - good queries as this is getting to gritty detail. All my flats have plastic consumer units located in hallway and none have been annotated C2.

Not all boards are split and from my understanding an older fuse wire board is single and not automatically a C2, although sensible to upgrade in a rental property to MCB trip switches. Acknowledge modern boards are split and incorporate RCDs, but older styles are not necessarily unsafe.

Believe option of installing a RCD between meter and consumer unit which is another solution should RCD be required.

by Badger

19:38 PM, 12th October 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Ron H-W at 07/10/2020 - 15:30
Wooden fuse boxes were commonplace years ago.

I woudn't be at all surprised to come across one in an older property.

One of the few circumstances when a replacement consumer unit is warranted IMO.

by Badger

19:47 PM, 12th October 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by AlanR at 07/10/2020 - 11:37
I concur.

I've been getting a few EICRs done in the north east just recently and I am being asked for that kind of money.

My remedials have been a lot higher than £70 but I am fortunate in being electrically competent myself so was able to assess and agree all of the points raised. (Mostly due to cheaping out on the part of the original builder ten years ago.)

I do feel for LLs that get stuck with an unethical electrician.

There is just no way that the layperson is going to be in a position to second-guess most of this stuff.

by steve gilbert

22:02 PM, 12th October 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Badger at 12/10/2020 - 19:47
I have just ordered (due tomorrow) NAPIT EICR codebreakers. A bargain at £23. This gives a list of all faults (no rcd or perhaps not split box) and what the fault should be recorded as ( c1 etc). Even if one has little electrical knowledge you can look at your report and list of faults and then see what code should be recorded. Therefore regardless of electricians scruples or opinion as a LL you will have a pretty good leg to stand on

by Ron H-W

0:12 AM, 14th October 2020, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by steve gilbert at 12/10/2020 - 22:02
Thanks for the tip-off, Steve - tomorrow I'm going to my local BEW to buy a copy (£18.99).
Meanwhile, I think loads of people will find this free guide VERY interesting:
And there are many useful Q&A's at

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Landlord Tax Planning Book Now