Bad Tenants Register for irresponsible lifestyles?

8:56 AM, 4th May 2017

Bad Tenants Register for irresponsible lifestyles?

Bad Tenants Register for irresponsible lifestyles?

Having been in the rental business for nearly 20 years, I have had my fair share of bad tenants, leaving unpaid rent debt and generally trashing the property. Fortunately, this has not happened very often. but when it does it is a real eye opener.

Just recently a tenant left me with £2k unpaid rent debt, but actually I was more irritated that they left half their belongings, a fridge full of rotting food and a filthy house.

What has incensed me even more is that these tenants were immediately re-housed by the council, continued to receive their housing benefits, with no reference to me as their Landlord for a reference. So now, some other poor landlord will undoubtedly receive the same treatment.

I am dealing with this at a local level, by sending the check out report to the housing office etc, but considering there is so much talk about getting a Landlords register, why on earth can’t we set up a “Bad Tenants register” ? Is this another response we can make to s24, to raise the profile of good landlords and flush out those tenants who continually expect others to pay for their irresponsible lifestyles?

I am keen to see what we can set up for this, understanding that holding data on individuals is probably a difficult thing to overcome – any legal advice?

Anyone else interested to see how we can do this?
Cheers,
Jill

Comments

Hamish McBloggs

19:01 PM, 22nd May 2017

Reply to the comment left by "Monty Bodkin" at "04/05/2017 - 09:57":

Monty,

I've used this service. The problem is that if you do not know all the permutations of pseudonyms and previous address it is a bit hit and miss I think.

Hamish

Joey

12:35 PM, 12th February 2019
About 5 months ago

There is A ' ( Bad and Good ) Tenant Register' where you can record information @

http://www.landlordreferencing.co.uk/ - It's Free to Join.

Landlords can Reference and checkout future Tenants.

Professional landlords drive BTL lending