Am I wrong? Or just nieve?

by Readers Question

14:37 PM, 4th March 2015
About 6 years ago

Am I wrong? Or just nieve?

Make Text Bigger
Am I wrong? Or just nieve?

I own a flat in Torquay (ground floor). Now this is my problem, the roof was letting in water and this was running down the cavity walls. Now the management company finally got someone in to look at the roof, at first it would be £600 per leaseholder because the costs where £6,000 (1/10 because 10 flats in the block).

After further inspection the whole roof needed doing, cost £70,000. So every leaseholder had to pay £7,000 to get the roof fixed. Ok so this was bad enough but we all had to pay.

My problem is that the damage the leaking roof has done to my flat is £2,500 worth, basically all the plaster is damp and has salts coming through. I have actually had quotes of £4,500 + £5,000.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I complain to the management company? I have paid fees of up to £150 per month for 10 years, then I pay for the roof and now I have to pay for the damage caused by the roof. I feel like they haven’t done their job that we pay a lot of money annually for and they have no insurance for this damage. My tenants contents insurance doesn’t cover a leaking roof!

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?


Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn



16:58 PM, 5th March 2015
About 6 years ago

£70,000 sounds very high, especially in Torquay. (I know an honest builder there who could possibly help in some way). I've recently been through a roof replacement dispute ...for a 2006 new build ...£63,000 for 25 flats!! Don't make the same mistake we did. The Landlord's agent issued each leaseholder with the requisite S20 Notice which sets out the three-stage consultation procedure the landlord/agent must follow when carrying out qualifying works to your building where the contribution from any one lessee exceeds £250. Have you received this Notice? We still had the new build guarantee, but made the mistake of agreeing to the agent managing the insurance claim on our behalf. This allowed them to obtain dodgy quotes and agree and manage the repair contract, then charge £6000 for the privilege. Obtain your own quote (do not let the agent have sight of it) and compare with what the agent obtains, then select the one you want. Our work was sub-standard, and cost more than the quote. We took them to the FTT, who could not prove the work was sub-standard, despite a survey, but did cut their fee by 50%. Good luck.

Harlequin Garden

17:01 PM, 5th March 2015
About 6 years ago

My information from the management company where I have a few flats is that 'if you turn the building upside down, what falls, you cover 'as contents' and what doesn't, is covered by the building insurance. I've had claims for water leaks from the flat above, and with another block from a leaking roof as I'm top floor. What's the point of building insurance if it doesn't cover 'the building' - and you will pay for it within your management charges. This building insurance even covers damage to fixtures and fittings (as they don't fall when the building is turned upside down) and at the example I gave, having just fitted a very nice kitchen, was if the work top was damaged would that still be classed as 'building insurance' and was assured it would. So water coming from a leaking roof and damaging the walls and decorations must - if it was my building - be covered. If it's not there is only one answer.

Neal Craven

18:50 PM, 5th March 2015
About 6 years ago

What does the lease say about responsibility and about the insurance and what should be covered

Nat Patel

20:53 PM, 5th March 2015
About 6 years ago

Management companies are big rip off.... They change one light bulb and invoice for £80.And so on..& ON ..Thank God I have never ever bought any lease hold property.
My son got his own lease hold flat , He tried to get some answers from management company .They never reply in time nor repair and maintain property regularly and Yearly charges invoice come 3 month in advance some case. BE AWARE Charges going up every year too.
AS many said please try to get Block Insurance policy notes .IF Company have not insured block WHY they charge you & why you pay for their service.
Good luck to get some money out from them.UNLIKELY.

David Asker

17:05 PM, 6th March 2015
About 6 years ago

If there is no way to claim from insurance you may want to bring a claim through MCOL against the company.

Alex Russell

9:31 AM, 18th March 2015
About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "ashley " at "05/03/2015 - 10:33":

Ashley, any chance you can argue my case, you seem to know how it all works!?
I am going to write a letter to the management company for the Insurance Document. This is how they get away with this sort of stuff because people don't know legally where they stand and can't afford lawyers.
Thank you for the great advice.

Alex Russell

11:08 AM, 18th March 2015
About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "ashley " at "05/03/2015 - 10:33":

Ashley, I have been sent the Insurance Policy by the management company, it is 40 pages long, how do I know what I am looking for?

Alex Russell

11:46 AM, 18th March 2015
About 6 years ago

David, what is MCOL?

David Asker

11:50 AM, 18th March 2015
About 6 years ago

Hi Alex,

It is the Governments own claims website called Money Claim Online.

See video here:

And website here:

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Deposit scheme £ mistake?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More