Stamp duty refund on property abroad?

Stamp duty refund on property abroad?

0:10 AM, 24th February 2023, About A year ago 1

Text Size

Hi, My husband is Australian and owns a house in Australia. He hasn’t lived in it for over 15 years while living in Europe and his mother was living in it. He is going to try and sell it.

In the meantime, we have had an offer accepted on a property in the UK. In terms of getting a refund from stamp duty on a 2nd property – would he be eligible?

Would the Australian property be considered his main residence?  We are currently renting and he has never owned a property elsewhere in the world.



Share This Article


Chris Bradley

12:37 PM, 24th February 2023, About A year ago

I believe to be considered a main residence you have to have lived in it as a main residence within three years of buying the new main residence. Then you have three years to sell the original main residence and claim back the extra stamp duty.
So it hasn't been the main residence for 15 years (more than the 3 years allowed) so you would need to sell before you bought the new main residence.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now