Service charge arrears – What can we do?

Service charge arrears – What can we do?

13:49 PM, 3rd September 2018, About 4 years ago 2

Text Size

1 property – 3 leashold flats with 2 of us owning the share of freehold. The owner of the flat that doesn’t own the share of freehold lives in New Zealand. We do not even have an address for her. All communication is via email.

She can’t keep up with service charge payments (£500 p/a) and ground rent payments (£200 p/a) which are minimal considering the value of the property and the rental income she receives. She is constantly in arrears and can’t keep up with the payments. The property needs major works done to it. She agreed it did and agreed to a payment plan about 2 years ago as we need to receive her funds before we do the works due to her poor credit history on previous works we had done.

Obviously she has paid nothing. Anyway it has accidentally come to my attention that she is also in mortgage arrears and has been for some time.

The letters keep coming to the property (it’s a shared letterbox) so I am wondering whether the lender is even aware that she is living in New Zealand.

What can we do?



Neil Patterson

13:51 PM, 3rd September 2018, About 4 years ago

Hi Maria,

You will need legal assistance, but you could apply for forfeiture of the lease. The lender will then lose their security so it is highly likely they will step in and take over.

terry sullivan

9:53 AM, 4th September 2018, About 4 years ago

contact mortgage company now

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now