Please help after friend breaks the tenancy agreementMake Text Bigger
My partner and I moved into a property with a friend on June 1st. Over the past few months she has allowed her boyfriend to move into the property. Initially it was not to bad, but his/their behavior (constantly yelling at one another in the house) and treatment of the property became intolerable and we asked him to move out. During that time she had taken money from him for his ‘share’ of the rent and also created an additional set of keys for him (which I now have in my possession so he can not be given them back under any circumstances). Therefore she has broken 2 of the facts stated in our tenancy agreement.
Now she is telling us that she will no longer be paying her share of the rent, sticking us with an additional £160 per month alongside all the bills. The house atmosphere has become very petty, on their behalf and difficult to continue. She has provided her notice to leave the property on December 1 during our break clause in the contract which in turn will terminate the joint tenancy agreement and evict all of us. For personal reasons (immigration visa application), my partner and I cannot wait until Dec 1 to move to another property ( we plan on moving in with his parents) and therefore would like to move asap, though we will continue to pay our share of the rent. (When we signed the initial documents the letting agency had us complete a form saying what amount we were paying for the rent and banking information. Can I request a copy of this to prove the amount she has stated she would pay?)
We would like to know:
1. How much notice is required, to give the Landlord and tenant agency, for moving out of the property but will be continuing to pay the monthly rent? Who must we inform of moving?
2. Do we have to pay the cleaning fee if we are moving out of the property 2 months earlier than our roommate who will be continuing to live at the property until Dec 1?
4. What can happen if your roommate has broken 2 aspects of the tenancy agreement? Can the agreement be terminated or allow us to leave the agreement as it has been breached?
* Allowed someone else to live at the property, took money from that person for share of rent, and created an additional set of keys. Is there any way to terminate the contract?
4. If we signed a document, alongside providing our banking information that states the amount each of us intended to pay at the property. Can one tenant change their amount?
* Also the tenancy agent never provided us with a copy of this information and encouraged the other tenant to change amount from 497 to 332 each month.
5. If I move out early can I take my name off the bills, even if my roommate is still living at the property?
Thank you for your help
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.