Partial gift of property to tenant who is also my son?

Partial gift of property to tenant who is also my son?

13:34 PM, 27th October 2016, About 6 years ago 4

Text Size

One of my tenanted properties is occupied by my son and his wife. The property is conservatively valued at £250,000. He would like to buy it from my wife and me, but can get a mortgage for only £100,000. We are thinking of gifting the remaining £150,000 to

How should we structure the ‘sale’ of the £100,000 equity and gift of £150,000. I can’t give him £150,000 cash as a deposit.

He is a first time buyer.

Will there be SDLT to pay on the whole £250,000?

Many thanks


Share This Article


Sunita Rickman

1:17 AM, 28th October 2016, About 6 years ago

I'm not a Tax expert !!!!!

I am presuming that the property is not mortgaged at the moment - But I believe if you gifted both of them a half share each - i.e. £124, 999 each (and you survived them for at least 7 years) there should not be any Stamp Duty liability or Inheritance Tax and then they could arrange a mortgage or re-mortgage for the £100K to pay you back later - A lot of trust involved - BUT this can be solved by arranging a deed to trust to be drawn up - if you do go down that route I would further advise that you the deed of Trust covers the Spouses share - Just in case the marriage breaks down at some point ??? & also check out if there would be any CGT liability & it might be worth-while looking at specialist gifted deposit mortgages.


11:07 AM, 28th October 2016, About 6 years ago

Thanks Sunita. Yes, the property is unencumbered.

Susan Robinson

12:48 PM, 28th October 2016, About 6 years ago

Hi - you can "gift" the £150K value but their solicitor is likely to ask for an indemnity policy - cost about £180 - (they say as protection in case you subsequently declare as a bankrupt or similarly financially 'distressed') and this is quite common; and HMRC will want to know of the gift for the 7yr rule mentioned previously - but that shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't put you off. The transaction moves forward on the basis of 'sale of £100K' so there's no stamp duty payable. You will get clobbered for capital gains though based on the actual value of the property (£250K, less your purchase/sale costs), there's no way out of that one - I know as I did similar thing last year just after the stamp duty (SDLT) was changed, so whilst my son had gained on SDLT, I still had to pay CGT on the whole gain of property value and not what I transferred it for.

I don't know about the "Deed to Trust" mentioned above so can't comment. I hope this helps. Your solicitor should be able to guide you through the whole process.

Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

22:08 PM, 28th October 2016, About 6 years ago

She's second post is very well thought out, I agree with all points she has raised and in particular the point about CGT. Please check that out as your first priority as it could be a deal breaker for you, or if not a very nasty shock at some point in the future.

If your son needs a mortgage the gifted deposit element will restrict the lenders available to him quite significantly. In this regards I would recommend you to contact three of the mortgage brokers who regularly comment of this forum; Howard Reuben, John Constant and Mark Alefounder. If you go to Aite Navigation, them Member Directory, then enter each name individually you will find their member profiles. They all have a contact form on those profile pages.

Good luck and please report back on progress.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now