Moving to France but double the tax returns!

Moving to France but double the tax returns!

9:15 AM, 15th February 2018, About 6 years ago 6

Text Size

I have a small portfolio of properties rental properties in the UK as well as a teachers’ pension both of which would remain taxable in the UK if I relocate to France.

My problem is that the tax year in each country is not the same and it seems that I can change neither.

The idea of submitting two returns at different times of the year is a nightmare.

I wonder if anyone else has gone through this and can give me the benefit of their advice.

Many thanks



Share This Article


terry sullivan

12:14 PM, 15th February 2018, About 6 years ago

you will never change anything in france---are you going to become french? ie passport etc? if so you will be taxed in france


14:08 PM, 15th February 2018, About 6 years ago

I feel your pain having just moved to Spain. UK in January, now only two rental properties, thank goodness, and Spain in April! Double whammy! Oh the joys of leaving that miserable country! 😁👍🏼🇪🇸

maggie hurst

15:43 PM, 15th February 2018, About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Carol T at 15/02/2018 - 14:08
I have properties in the UK and live in France where I also have properties. All vey modest ones I may add.
My accountant in France recommends declaring UK income in UK to benefit from the individual allowance.This is legal.
The French tax return deals with the French half. But if you have little income in France this is easily done on line and the Tax Office locally can help. Don't laugh!.
It is true that the difference in timing is annoying .
I moved to France some 35 years ago so you could say have become used to (inured almost) to bureacracy

steve watt

8:23 AM, 17th February 2018, About 6 years ago

You need to do a UK tax return if you have UK income (such as lettings, pension) for the year ending 5th April. You would get UK personal allowance.
Being French resident (from the day you move there and non-UK resident from the day you leave) you need to do a tax return on your worldwide income for the calendar year. You would get double-taxation relief - basically a deduction for the UK tax paid.
You would have the same problem in just about any country you move to.

maggie hurst

8:40 AM, 17th February 2018, About 6 years ago

Reply to the comment left by steve watt at 17/02/2018 - 08:23
Thank you for your reply.
I do submit a UK tax return and an accountant in France sees to that half. It is all complicated; no doubt unecessarily so!

Nick Pope

7:03 AM, 18th February 2018, About 6 years ago

We have a similar situation with properties in the USA. The tax year there is 1st Jan - 31 Dec.
I am fortunate that my wife's second love is Excel spreadsheets so she has 2 running in parallel and simply starts another for each country at the apprpriate date.
We have an accountant in the USA to file for us and the cost is about $400 for 2 properties. The US earnings are simply rolled into the UK return by our accountant here. There are a few UK based accountants who will do both but you might want to check costs.
I'm sure similar arrangemets would work well in France.
Oh! Her first love? Sometimes I think I run third to the dog.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now