Mould making flat uninhabitable?

Mould making flat uninhabitable?

9:05 AM, 3rd February 2023, About A year ago 4

Text Size

Hello, I have a flat in a listed building which has a flat roof. The roof requires major works which the management committee have been planning for the past two years. All the leaseholders have paid £10K in advance for this work which keeps getting delayed.

My flat is the worst affected as it is the top floor flat. It has numerous leaks and every ceiling is covered in mould.

I have sent numerous mails to the committee which they just ignore.

I have reduced the rent by a third to compensate the tenant.

If the tenant moves out there is no way anyone else would move in.

I have mailed the committee saying that the tenant’s health is at risk but I get no response.

Is there anything else I could do to ensure the works get done?

Thank you,


Share This Article


Churchills Tax Advisers

10:59 AM, 3rd February 2023, About A year ago

A solicitor's letter to the committee?


11:08 AM, 3rd February 2023, About A year ago

Form a Right To Manage company (RTM) then the repair is in your own hands.

Chris H

11:14 AM, 3rd February 2023, About A year ago

While I agree a solicitor's letter to the committee, I would go to the local LA to discuss the matter, if they are sensible and you, not your tenant is making the approach they will likely help not hinder or surve on you, no guarantee tho.
I would also be getting the mould treated and threating to bill the committee, throw in a couple of dehumidifier's and again state they will be liable for all costs and given the length of time repair costs?....
Is the fact is listed holding up the works? I have worked in this field, if it not visible from the road, the works on a listed building roof if in keeping rarely are the issue... each leaseholder has paid 10k upfront, interest in a high yield interest account


16:26 PM, 3rd February 2023, About A year ago

It sounds like the property may be uninhabitable and you are in danger of facing bigger problems if the tenants health suffers. I suggest you take some legal advice with a view to seeking a mutual surrender of the tenancy.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now