Lodger not  moving out and threatening

Lodger not moving out and threatening

14:35 PM, 2nd September 2016, About 6 years ago 2

Text Size

I have a lodger and given him a written notice of three months instead of one month to leave as renovation work is due to start in early September.threatening

I also agreed to pay £100 for van hire as he demanded, but he still has not managed to move out,saying “he is looking for a place.”

I also asked him in the beginning of the tenancy to provide a legal documents to prove he has the right to remain in the UK by the Home Office, he has not done this either.

He very argumentative and sort of threatening, as he says “he is Boxer.”

Please advise me what rights I have as a landlord since I live in the same house.

For last three I have not slept properly since he sleeps almost all day and comes at in early hours in the morning such as 2am, 3am, 4am and starts cooking and gong upstairs and downstairs frequently causing others sleep deprivation.

Many thanks


Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

14:38 PM, 2nd September 2016, About 6 years ago

Hi Mohammed

The law says you must give a lodger reasonable notice, three months is way more than "reasonable", two weeks is the norm.

As a resident landlord the law is very much on your side.

I recommend the following:-

1) go to the Police and make a report that you feel threatened and the following is what you're going to do:-

2) call a locksmith and get the locks changed

3) bag up all of his belongings and leave them outside your front door with the following note:-

"Dear [insert name]

The door locks have been changed as you have refused to move out despite having been given reasonable notice. I have filed a report with the Police to advise them I feel threatened. Please do not disturb me further, if you do I will have no alternative but to call the Police and have you arrested on grounds of harassment and/or breaking and entry if you attempt to enter my home. I have also been advised that I can apply for an injunction so that if you approach myself or my home again or harass or threaten me in any way I can also have you arrested. I do not wish to do any of these things and I wish you well I terms of finding somewhere else to live. However, be under no illusion, I will call the Police if you disturb me in any way.

Yours sincerely

I wish you all the best Mohammed and please do update me on what happens.

Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

18:59 PM, 2nd September 2016, About 6 years ago

One further point, if he knocks your door in the early hours of the morning call the Police immediately. Do not wait until things escalate and do not answer the door

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now