16:12 PM, 4th July 2012, About 12 years ago 1
A landlord in Edinburgh is the first in the city to be banned from letting out properties after failing to declare previous convictions and to licence his HMO.
The landlord, Yousef Mohammed, had previously been hit with a £1000 fine for failing to licence an HMO. He has subsequently been deemed not to meet the “fit and proper” criteria and taken off the landlord register.
Two Sheffield landlords could face jail after exposing a family to carbon monoxide. Farhat Bahsarat and Waheed Ahmid, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court to three charges of breaching gas safety regulations and failing to maintain appliances and records.
Gas safety inspectors, when they were called to inspect the property, were forced to cut off the gas supply declaring the family in “immediate danger”. Bahsarat told officers her now ex-husband looked after the property, but she owned it. They will be sentenced this month.
District judge Antony Brown said: “It is shocking that innocent members of the public reliant on landlords carrying out their statutory duties were subjected to this risk.
“All too frequently we see reports of tenants who have gone to bed and been found the next day as a result of failings like these. The court is considering all options – including custody.”
Camden Council has fined two landlords nearly £9000 for failing to licence a six bedroom HMO. They couple were warned numerous times, and had also failed t properly equip the property with adequate fire safety
District Judge Crane deemed the couple’s daughter’s evidence to be unreliable, and has fined Mrs Jahanara Begum and Mr Abdul Kalam £1000 each for failing to obtain a licence and made her pay £2000 towards the Council’s costs. Mr Kalam was also fined £2000 for failing to provide fire precautions and £250 for the broken window. He had to pay £2508.75 in costs and both had to pay a victim support charge of £15.
Previous ArticleTenants in severe arrears tops 100,000