Landlord plumbing and drainage policies?

Landlord plumbing and drainage policies?

9:46 AM, 4th February 2018, About 5 years ago 4

Text Size

Can I ask how many of us landlord readers take out landlord plumbing and drainage policies?

I have recently taken one out and they sent me a lengthy policy document regarding what is and what isn’t covered. I called them the other day due to a pipe leaking and they said I wasn’t covered !

I’m sure that lengthy policy documents have loopholes !! Has anyone else experienced this?

If so, what type of policies do you use and recommend or do you take the hits and self insure?

Many Thanks


Share This Article


steve p

9:54 AM, 5th February 2018, About 5 years ago

Hi have the british gas home care full package on all my properties, boiler, heating, plumbing and electrics (also includes gas safety certificate). Its not cheap but as all my rents are above £750 a month I think the £30 a month is value for money... The plumbing is done by Dyno, had to use it last week, the online system was rubbish, it said an engineer had been booked for friday... 3pm friday nothing, phoned and it was a mistake should have told me it was booked for the monday but apart from that, covered even the cistern, does not cover taps though which I guess is fair enough.

Rob Crawford

12:25 PM, 5th February 2018, About 5 years ago

Where such things are covered you will find statements relating to work/installation having to be done by a "competent person". This makes it difficult for the many DIY maintenance Landlords out there. In essence you would have to prove your competence and unless formally qualified and registered with a Trade Association you may find this difficult. Another thing to watch for on unoccupied properties, if you experience a water leak due to frost, they will look at your heating bill to ensure it has been running. If not you won't get a penny! It's all about what level of risk you are prepared to make and how competent you feel you are. British Gas are expensive, not always available and carry minimal spares.

Laura Delow

12:49 PM, 5th February 2018, About 5 years ago

We have had for many years 15 BGas homecare policies covering plumbing, drains, elecs, boiler & central heating & on my home all home appliances (buy to let appliances covered by Domestic & General - also brilliant) & would not be without them for although there are the odd things BGas don't cover e.g. drains if communal, tap washes (they do cover taps), overall they cover 99% of our needs. Admittedly the Dyno side can be a bit unreliable in busy winter months but it's worth the odd bit of aggro. We also have our Gas Safety Certs carried out by BGas as they're cheaper than independent plumbers. When I look back at the works they've carried out vs the premiums & excesses paid (I go for excess on all properties as need 3 call outs per annum to = the increase in premium for the non excess policy), we are massively ahead. Same goes with D&G appliance cover. Obviously if you don't find yourself ever claiming, it's expensive but overall we always come out ahead plus it gives us peace of mind (even on Xmas day when the boiler at one of our BTL's stopped, they arrived within 2 hours & got it working).

Jireh Homes

21:08 PM, 10th February 2018, About 5 years ago

Contrary to the contributions above I do not carry out repairs insurance on my portfolio and to-date have saved more in policy fees than paid out on repairs. Guess it depends on your risk attitude and whether the net rental income covers the cost.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now