Who is on the hook for flood damage to tenants’ possessions?

Who is on the hook for flood damage to tenants’ possessions?

8:23 AM, 21st February 2018, About 5 years ago 4

Text Size

A water pipe has burst in a brand new property rented by a family member of mine. Lots of the tenants possessions are water damaged.

The landlord (a big corporate London agency) is doing the right thing and paying for alternative accommodation – but is the agency/landlord also on the hook for the water-damaged possessions too?

The pipe burst was not tenants fault.

Many thanks



Neil Patterson View Profile

8:29 AM, 21st February 2018, About 5 years ago

Please say the tenant had contents insurance?

If not this is the answer I got from Jason our insurance expert in answer to a landlord's question about a tenant that was refusing to pay for contents insurance and was worried about what happens in case of fire or flood etc.

"The tenant is responsible for their own possessions. You do not own them and therefore cannot insure them. I'd advise you tell the tenant to get tenant contents insurance. Typically it costs £100 or less for £10,000 of cover per year, so it is affordable. If they don't and there is a blaze, they will most likely end up having to replace everything themselves.

There is an argument if a fire started by someone else causes the damage they can claim on that persons policy if negligence is proved. But without tenants contents insurance they will have to pay their own solicitor fees if it is contested."


8:41 AM, 21st February 2018, About 5 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Neil Patterson at 21/02/2018 - 08:29
It's probably worth saying that we should all have LLs insurance and cover for our furniture, carpets etc that's not covered by buildings insurance.
A friend recently had a drunk tenant put her arm through a glass pane in an internal door and claim compensation for her badly cut arm as wired glass should have been fitted. Without LL insurance the costs could have run to many thousands

James Noble

9:11 AM, 21st February 2018, About 5 years ago

I have a flat at the top of a high rise flat. The roof had a leak, and was fixed, but the floor (and flat below) continued to feel wet. Eventually I discovered a (hidden) dripping washing machine connection. Had it continued and caused further, and serious damage, who would be to blame? The building had its own insurance. The tenant had contents insurance. Should I have a belt and braces cover as well?

Neil Patterson View Profile

9:38 AM, 21st February 2018, About 5 years ago

You should always have landlords insurance and check what it covers. Malicious damage is more difficult and costly.

Check out >> https://www.property118.com/insurance-landlords/

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now