11:03 AM, 9th March 2021, About 6 months ago 2
For those that have never had the joys of coming across the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, here is a quick introduction:
The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (in short, the HHSRS), has been in place for some 15 years! It is still used by Council Enforcement Officers to assess property conditions based on 29 hazards.
The hazards include Fire, Falls on Stairs, Structural defects and even explosions.
Following an inspection of your property, deficiencies identified at the time will then be placed into one of these 29 hazards and using a numerical formula, the Housing Enforcement Officer is able to determine if a Category 1 or 2 Hazards exists within the property and may choose to take appropriate action under the Housing Act 2004.
The above makes it all seem remarkably simple!
The HHSRS has never been updated since its implementation.
An exciting two-year research project, commissioned by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) is being carried out.
An online survey has been released and this is your opportunity as a Landlord to get involved in the shaping of the HHSRS.
The government makes it clear that “this survey is aimed at a wide variety of organisations from those at one extreme that own/manage tens of thousands of dwellings through to a person that lets just one dwelling. Do not be put off from completing the survey. The aim is to assist in informing significant improvements to the HHSRS.”
The review and associated research focus on recommendations in relation to the following:
• Review of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) Operating Guidance.
• Development of an updated set of worked examples.
• Reviewed HHSRS training for assessors and other stakeholders, including the introduction of a competency framework.
• Development of a simpler means of banding HHSRS assessment results.
• New recommended minimum standards.
• Assessment into the amalgamation or removal of existing hazard profile.
• Review of HHSRS digital assessment tools.
• Reviewed and updated HHSRS ‘Landlords Guidance’ and new ‘Tenants Guidance’.
• Reviewed and updated HHSRS Enforcement Guidance.
• Review of the fire safety hazard.
The online survey for Landlords can be found here https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CRX2TTD and is open until the end of this month.
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Previous ArticleCan I withhold tenant access temporarily?