Green slime and leak

Green slime and leak

8:30 AM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago 7

Text Size

I am renting out a ground floor flat in a block of 6. The first floor flat above mine has water running out of the outside pipe from his boiler. The wall is soaking and green with slime.

Yesterday I discovered there is now an internal water leak in my flat. I have tried to contact the landlord through the management company, he has not responded and they won’t give me his details.

I have sent a letter to the flat FAO landlord or agent but no response.

What can I do now?



Neil Patterson View Profile

8:54 AM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

If no one is being helpful you need to work through the insurance companies to get things moving.

Ask the management company for details of the block buildings insurance policy and contact your own landlords insurance as well.

Neil Patterson View Profile

8:56 AM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

This is a super common question and we have many articles on it for your research 🙂

Please do a Property118 article search using the word "leak" and you will see what I mean >>

Search and article is top right of this page as well.

Seething Landlord

11:19 AM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

I am not sure that I understand the situation that you are describing. Are you the owner or the tenant of the flat?

If you just want to find out the identity of the owner of the flat above you it is a cheap and simple matter to get a copy of the title register from the land registry. If I remember correctly the cost is £3 and you can download the document immediately after making payment.

Have you tried speaking to the occupier of the flat? It sounds as though it is probably the overflow from a water tank running due to a faulty valve which could easily be repaired and will be costing the occupier a significant amount if the water is metered.
Are you saying that the leak inside your flat is part of the same problem or is it a completely different issue?

Karin Flemmings

12:41 PM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Seething Landlord at 11/06/2019 - 11:19
Thanks for your reply Neil, I have found the articles quite helpful.
Seething landlord, I am the owner. The outside leak has been going on for about a year. I didn't think about looking on land registry. The indoor leak is recent and different. Yesterday my tenant spoke to upstairs tenant and it seems they are having a new boiler fitted. This will fix the original problem. They say they have no leak but this happened last year and it originated in the flat above them. So it looks like the outside leak could be being resolved.. just need to sort indoor one now.

Karin Flemmings

12:45 PM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Neil Patterson at 11/06/2019 - 08:56
Thanks, it's annoying that the premiums for the joint buildings insurance will keep increasing due to on going claims when landlords don't do their repairs properly. But then again, they're at the mercy of their tradesmen I suppose.

Michael Barnes

19:44 PM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

I presume that you are a leaseholder, so contact the freeholder (as it is likely damaging the fabric of the building).

Karin Flemmings

20:16 PM, 11th June 2019, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Michael Barnes at 11/06/2019 - 19:44
Thanks Michael, yes they are another management company but I will contact them if it persists

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now