Government sponsored moves to Spain?

by Dr Rosalind Beck

9:58 AM, 12th December 2016

Government sponsored moves to Spain?

Government sponsored moves to Spain?

300,000 new homes are needed each year in the UK apparently. On the other hand in Spain there are 388,000 properties that have never sold and are lying empty. It seems to me that people could be incentivised to go and live there instead of the UK. No idea how the plan would work, but this is what I call the kernel of a good idea.empty spanish property

Pensioners, for example, can have their UK state pensions paid to them in Spain and with a few sweeteners might be persuaded and migrants who otherwise might have settled in the UK might be persuaded, but that is less plausible as the unemployment level in Spain is dire.

The link below points to the problem in Spain, which could be a partial solution to our own housing problem: The British and Spanish Governments should have their heads banged together to come up with something.

What do people think?

Comments

Jerry Jones

17:21 PM, 4th January 2017

Reply to the comment left by "Cautious Landlord" at "04/01/2017 - 16:56":

> they probably won’t want to live here when they get older. Mind you my wife and I
> already feel like this with the bashing we’re getting from the govt at the moment.

A pity, then, that The Will Of The People is to stop you and your kids living and working elsewhere as easily as they can now.

Cautious Landlord

17:28 PM, 4th January 2017

Reply to the comment left by "Jerry Jones" at "04/01/2017 - 17:21":

Lol ! I don't see it that way at all. If/when we go then we will have a pot of money, some skills and all the correct paperwork. There will be no shortage of destinations where we could add value rather than become a burden on scarce resources.

Jerry Jones

17:40 PM, 4th January 2017

Let's hope the old health holds out for you then (a pacemaker wearer writes)

Rod

18:44 PM, 4th January 2017

Reply to the comment left by "Cautious Landlord" at "04/01/2017 - 17:28":

Your not alone with your thoughts. This country is getting 'out of hand' in many ways. I could go on, but dare not!!

r01

22:21 PM, 4th January 2017

Reply to the comment left by "Jerry Jones" at "04/01/2017 - 11:04":

Hahahahahaha.................. You have a great sense of humour. I read your post and almost spat my tea out with laughter.

I think there is about as much chance of your Polish tenants (or any other Europeans - or non-Eurpopeans for that matter), being evicted en-masse from the country as there is of me (& I'm male), giving birth to quads whilst standing on my head, singing the national anthem and juggling 14 tennis balls during a force nine gale.

On the other hand, once we invoke article 50 the Europeans will probably rush to confiscate the properties and freeze the bank accounts of UK ex-pats then evict them as soon as they become any sort of burden, so you'll have both lots to house - happy days......... time to double portfolios anyone?

Benefits of a family partnership we had not previously considered