Fuseboard Confusion!

by Readers Question

14:13 PM, 27th February 2020
About 7 months ago

Fuseboard Confusion!

Make Text Bigger
Fuseboard Confusion!

I am just about to have the five year DEIC Report done on a block containing 4 one bed flats. We use the same electrician we have used for years, but even he is confused about the plastic board replacement to a metal one.

Does he HAVE to replace the plastic boards if he feels the rest of the system is safe? I am sure I read somewhere replacement isn’t mandatory.

Or is this only for domestic homes where you live yourself, rather than properties you let?

Many thanks

Reluctant landlord


Graham Bowcock

8:45 AM, 29th February 2020
About 7 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Monty Bodkin at 28/02/2020 - 21:13
We don’t get checks done each time the regulations change, but whenever we get a check we try and bring our houses up to date. We still have several with plastic consumer units, but as their checks come due they will be replaced. We are pragmatic on testing and go for between 5 and 10 years. If we refurb then we’d bring up to date.

George T

17:05 PM, 2nd March 2020
About 7 months ago

Is it mandatory to have an RCD if it was not a requirement at the time of the original installation and the installation is otherwise safe ?

Lancs Hotpot

20:52 PM, 2nd March 2020
About 7 months ago

Reply to the comment left by George T at 02/03/2020 - 17:05
When an EICR is issued this is tested/inspected to the current edition of the wiring regs as to whether it is safe for continued use, this means that the departures that are identified would need to be risk assessed as to whether they mean that the installation would be unsafe if they were installed to previous versions of the regulations. An RCD would be installed for a few different regulations.. cables at less than 50mm and not in an earthed wiring system and bathroom circuits where there is supplementary bonding in place correctly installed would generally be ok if there is no RCD.. socket outlets of 32A or less now require RCD protection, the risk associated with a socket with no RCD likely to be used outdoors is seen by the industry best practice guides as a suggested C2..so as long as your properties are flats with no outdoor areas it would probably be ok to issue a satisfactory outcome. Have a look at ‘ Electrical Safety First best practice guide 4’ it’s a free download and it will probably answer your question better than I have.

Graham Bowcock

21:11 PM, 2nd March 2020
About 7 months ago

Reply to the comment left by George T at 02/03/2020 - 17:05
That’s one for an electrician. As a general principle regulations are not retrospective. However, it begs the question as to why you wouldn’t want to fit RCDs in any house, never mind a let house with tenants in.

1 2 3

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



First trial date December 2021!

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More