European Tenants?

by Readers Question

11:26 AM, 9th November 2020
About 3 months ago

European Tenants?

Make Text Bigger
European Tenants?

Hi, I have a number of European tenants and was wondering what is likely to happen if we leave Europe without a deal. I keep seeing adverts on TV about getting your business ready for Jan 01 -21.

Are their rights likely to change and possibly have to leave the country within a required timescale and what if they are in an AST that overruns that timescale?


Editors Note: From Citizens Advice >> click here

You usually need to apply to stay in the UK if you’re from:

  • a country in the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • another country and you are the family member of someone who is from the EU, EEA or Switzerland

Check when you should apply by

It is worth applying to stay in the UK now. After 30 June 2021 you might be asked to prove your right to do things like get a job or use the NHS. You’ll be able to do this by showing you have ‘pre-settled status’ or ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement Scheme, or British citizenship.  Getting your status will prove your right to:

  • stay in the UK for more than 3 months
  • work
  • study
  • use the NHS
  • claim the State Pension
  • rent a home

Check what you need to apply for

What you need to apply for depends on how long you’ve lived in the UK and if you’ve applied to stay in the UK before.

If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years

You should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for pre-settled status. You only need to prove you’ve lived in the UK for 1 day in the last 6 months to get it.  You can apply for pre-settled status as long as you move to the UK before 31 December 2020.

If you get pre-settled status, you can live and work in the UK for up to 5 years. After you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years, you should apply for settled status to stay for longer.  You can spend up to 2 years outside the UK without losing your pre-settled status. But, if you want to apply for settled status later, you need to:

  • have lived in the UK for 5 years in a row
  • prove that you lived in the UK for 6 months out of every 12 months during those 5 years

The 5 years can include time before you got pre-settled status.

Find out more about what you need to apply for pre-settled status.

If you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years or more

You should either apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled status or for British citizenship. If you get settled status, you can:

  • live and work in the UK for as long as you like
  • live outside the UK for up to 5 years in a row without losing your status – 4 years if you’re Swiss
  • bring your family to live in the UK

You might also find it easier to apply for British citizenship if you have settled status.

Find out what you need to apply for settled status.

You’ll have more rights if you become a British citizen but you might have to give up your current nationality. You need to pay to apply for British citizenship.

Claiming benefits and getting help with housing

You can continue to claim benefits and get help with housing from your local council until 30 June 2021.

After that date, some benefits like Universal Credit, Pension Credit and Child Benefit might stop if you don’t have settled status. You might not be able to get help with housing from your local council.

Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


Dylan Morris

14:35 PM, 10th November 2020
About 3 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Whiteskifreak Surrey at 10/11/2020 - 13:25Net immigration well over 300,000 each year and you don’t believe Herr Johnson is pro immigration. So what number would make you change your mind and believe that he is ?

Whiteskifreak Surrey

15:33 PM, 10th November 2020
About 3 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Dylan Morris at 10/11/2020 - 14:35
ha ha ha - nothing will change my absolutely negative opinion about Johnson. The whole Brexit was about getting rid of immigration and "British jobs for British people". But this is not a subject of this conversation - we are talking about "right to rent" for the degraded EU citizens and the way we , landlords, are going to deal with the situation in the absence of clear guidance from our delightful government.

Paul landlord

8:01 AM, 11th November 2020
About 2 months ago

The guy is asking a legitimate question. With all the shenanigans over the last 3+ years on brexit with doubts, u turns and even the government sneaking around and admittedly breaking international law- im sure the OP has thought about this a lot.

But whats the point in taking action years early when the government has proved it can change its mind literally overnight on issues with no warning.

I think the questions timing is spot on

1 2

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Could your buy-to-let company share structure be better?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More